Going CRAZY with parent role! Help?

Re: Going CRAZY with parent role! Help?

by susan hastings -
Number of replies: 3
I finally decided to give up on hiding the course list but now my problem is that the parent can add posts to their forum/blog. I want the parent to ONLY be able to see the activity report. I have gone into the parent role permissions and set it to prohibit on everything except viewing the profile and the activity report but it STILL shows forum, blog, everything. I have assigned the parent role to this user under the student's name. Is this wrong?
In reply to susan hastings

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This really needs the Check permissions script from Moodle 2.0 to find out what is happening. (Sorry, that is not very helpful.)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by ben reynolds -
There's a roledebugscript for 1.9 at http://docs.moodle.org/en/The_rolesdebug.php_roles_debugging_script

Thanks to Zbysiu Rodak's link, I played around with parent role and mentee block yesterday afternoon. The experience in 1.9.1 is quite different from our experience in May 2007 (on either 1.8.2 or 1.7+, not sure which).

In 1.9.1,
  • Parents see the course list on the front page but cannot get in through those links.
  • Parents see the mentee block, but the mentee block is unseen to students & teachers
  • Parents can only get in to see the child's activities by clicking on the name in the mentee block
  • Parents can see that posts have been made to forums in activities>outline report, but they cannot view the activity (i.e. the forum or their child's posts)
  • Parents can see that files have been uploaded to assignment activities, but they cannot view the activity
  • Parents can see the gradebook, but they cannot view the activity's description. They *can* see the grade and the feedback.
  • The default phrase for "Parent, you can't view that" is "This course is not enrollable at the moment."
In 1.8.2 (but it may have been 1.7) in May, 2007, I made these notes:
  • It seems to be a gentleman's agreement not to use activity report to get into the classroom and view anything you want instead of following the link to the student's profile.
  • The site front page doesn't prohibit a parent from going in through the course listing (this may be fixable with front page roles)
  • The forum posts tab for parent shows nothing has been posted altho the student view shows what the student has posted. I think this is a 1.8 bug but can't confirm yet.
  • It was entirely possible to get into any classroom, any activity, see any part of a classroom
In May, 2007, we didn't understand roles and permissions very well. I think our test cases may have been global/site wide roles, and that may be why parents could go in through the course listing.