New Course Format: "G8Moodle"

New Course Format: "G8Moodle"

by Fernando Oliveira -
Number of replies: 30
Picture of Plugin developers

Hello everyone,

Over the last couple of years, Ive been running an online education program(www.g8.firstnationschools.ca)  for grade 8 students in isolated First Nation communities in northern Canada. In a nutshell, the main goals of the program are:

1. Help students prepare for high school by reinforcing grade 8 expectations that have a direct connection to the grade 9 curriculum.

2. Encourage students to interact with students in other First Nation schools

3. Help instil awareness and pride in First Nation culture by highlighting the various places, programs, events and people in First Nation communities

4. Promote literacy, numeracy and computer skills  

This summer I managed to get a small budget to customize Moodle to better fit the needs of the G8 Program and isolated learners in general. Mike Churchward agreed to turn my designs into code and the new format is called G8Moodle. Im still working on a few other features, but I thought Id share the current changes with the Moodle community. The complete version should be ready in 3 or 4 weeks at which point it will be provided as open source to anyone who wants to use the whole thing or just selected parts. Some highlights of the G8Moodle format include:

1. A new weekly navigation systemA tracking system for completed activities
  2. An option to exclude any activity from the grade book
  3. A Casual Forums block
  4. An Activity Forum block (mirrors forums that are included in the activities section)
  5. An Opinions Block (Opinion is just another name for the Choice activity)
  6. A Map (to show the location of participating schools)
  7. An Announcements center block
  8. Some of the links within other blocks have been renamed and/or relocated
  9. The Gradebook displays activity names vertically (to maximise space)
  10. Customized help file
  11. Removed the front page link from the breadcrumb menu (student view)
  12. Some other minor changes

Other changes still to come.

The test site is located here: http://branches.ca/g8moodle

Use student as login name and password to enter.

Any suggestions or bug reports are appreciated.

Regards,

Fernando

PS. While I have the conch, Id like to throw out an invitation to any experienced Moodler who might be interested in putting together a grade 8 math course for this program (using WebWork, flash demos as well as the regular Moodle activities). The course would consist of about 25 lessons (each one hour long) and this would be a paid contract.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fernando Oliveira

Re: New Course Format: "G8Moodle"

by Jeffery Watkins -

Very Nice work Fernando and Mike.

I bet it works well with younger students who need more structure. 

Looking forward to playing with it.

Jeff

by Ger Tielemans -

Nice, I would replace also the short coursename in the breadcrumbs with the static word HOME. (See elsewher in the forums)

• We are also working on "checkmarks in front of the activities": we came to the same solution of the box with the checkmark in front of the activity, we only choose green instead of red:: red has a "not good" signal in our schools (red marks..). 
  • We are struggling with finding the place where the grade is set in the modul: there are big differences in the way the moduls do this.. (So how did Mike cope with that, I hardly can wait to see the code smile )
  • Is it an option for the teacher to exclude an activity from the gradebook or an admin setting? (the same for customized helpfiles)
  • I understand that a student gets only one coursein your appoach? (language and maths and geo together in one course? How do you visualise that for the pupils?
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Fernando Oliveira -

Hi ger,

Thanks for your suggestions. Using the word "home" in the breadcrumb is a good idea and I also see your point about the red checkmarks.

The G8 Program is such that none of the teachers have the ability to edit any part of the course. Courses are provided by the admin (me) and the help doc, map and excluded activities are established as part of the course.

Yes, students only get access to one course at a time. The program runs on a 3 semester system - 1 course per semester.

As far as your coding question, you'll have to wait until either Mike gets back from vacation or until the format is finished mixed. 

by Ger Tielemans -

We are not ready yet, but I wonder if the box with the checkmark interferes with the icon for the quizz. (see screendump)

Will you also be so kind to send me a demo-login for your G8-project?
We also have - until now- a paperbased project for G8 called POVO
(POVO = PrimairEducationSecundairEducation)
We are also considering to extend that project with the use of Moodle.

Attachment 1311image003.jpg

by Fernando Oliveira -

I was thinking the same thing about the quiz icon - it definately needs to be changed.

As for access to the G8 Project, none of the courses are up and running yet. Actually, the test course that I posted (G8 English Literacy) was the first G8 course that we delivered with Moodle. This year, I'm looking to offer the other 2 (Math and Science) via Moodle as well. 

I'm curious as to how your tracking system deals with Reasource activities... do they just get checked off once they are opened?

Fernando

PS. I wonder why I'm not getting this forum in my email? I'm subscribed.

by Ger Tielemans -

No, we made another choice:

• Moodle shows only the red box next to the activities that the teacher marks as important/ must be done. (teacher places a checkmark on the settings-page of that activity). 
  • We work with week sections and pupils get the freedom to work on the tasksets of that week in the order they wish and as long as they wish. (they can also choose to do all the tasks or only the must-be-done-tasks)
  • We only offer this options for activities that can get a grade in the gradebook: quizz, assignment (on/offline), exercise, workshop, lesson, journal, forum, attendance, glossary, maybe also hotpot and scorm. (survey in the sccreendump get no grade)
  • when such activity gets a grade, it becomes auto checkmarked
  • problem is that lots of moduls have different ways of storing grades..so we puzzle

The idea behind this:
- Opening a text or one of the other resources, tells us nothing about real student-activity
(By the way, on every resource page you have this small stats-icon: :you can already see there if the student did consult that resource: use this when you talk with the student about his strategy to work on that task and using all the help - see further on) 
- The teacher should design a task close to the resource(s) that invites the students to read/explore the resource before/during working on that task: also a good layout of the section could help him: use intend) 
- I saw that Bryan even insert the resource inside the task:I like that, but in other situations I prefer to have it visible in the section overview.

-we think that the student must keep freedom to make choices. sometimes less wise... and so develop better personal study skills, like:

• study all the resources before trying the task,
  • study the - in his opinion - most important resource and by doubt the next one etc..

(first steps in time management for G8, so when they arrive at the secondary school with much more subjects on school, they have learned how to keep "overview") 

For the higher classes of the secondary schools, we want to give the student a tool to set the importantce boxes and check the tasks by hand when they feel that they are finished...

(kind of user interface symmetry with the lower years.. scaffolding a little?...)

What do you think?

by Fernando Oliveira -

Hi Ger,

Giving students the freedom to make choices is a good thing but since the G8 program can have as many as 30 different schools particpating at one time, it's important to keep things as simple as possible.  In regards to the resouce-tracking problem, I resorted to a "read confirmation", which basically consists of a link that's built into the bottom section of resource activity itself (see pic below). This works out fine for the type of resources we use in the G8 Program.

Attachment readr.JPG

by Ger Tielemans -

I like this very much! It helps students to take responsibilty instead of doing things under the forcing "eyes"of the teachers.

The point here is the question: "What will they do on the first day AFTER they left a forcing course?"

I also hope that we will get a ToDo modul in Moodle, so a student can plan activities he wants to undertake in the context of a section: less pre-planning of the teacher.

( I still have a description from 1986 of a primary school that allowed pupils of primary school "The SUN" in the south of The Netherlands to print on the hobbycomputer of their teacher their own syllabus/timetable of that week by selecting activities from the shelf of that week and place it on the time and day they wish for that activity.

One day we will have this in Moodel smile)

by Brent Eaton -
Ger,

I am desparate to know how you did the check boxes by the activities to show those completed.  I am trying to set up an asynchronous learning center.  The employees often have to take breaks during a course.  It would help to have that visual reminder of where they were when they logged off.

Thanks,

Brent

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Ger -

I had the same problem - determining when an activity is completed (or graded) is different for almost every activity. So I created a generic function ('assignment_is_completed') that takes the activity module object and the userid and returns true or false. Then, for each activity, I created a custom function that returns true or false for each module based on code specific to that module. That way, the format only needs to know about the generic function (OOP method).

mike
In reply to Mike Churchward

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers

Thank you Fernando for sharing this.

Mike, the progression "checklist" is something many people have been wanting--you are about to become very popular (not that you aren't already, of course).  I'm hoping the coding for specifying when an activity is completed will not be too difficult to customize--for example, true="the activity has been accessed", e.g. for resouces such as reading material that have no grade.  Or, like Ger mentioned:  "...and check the tasks by hand when they feel that they are finished..." 

One use for this may be for the developmental Certificate Module--once all the boxes are checked, then the certificate is available to be printed out perhaps? 

Thanks again for sharing,

Chardelle

In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Ger Tielemans -

From an educational point of view I wonder if opening (and quick closing?) enough text-resources must end-up in a certificate. (joking, joking)

If you offer resources you do this in combination with gradebale activity: The students must develop the feeling to handle this overflow of information.. (Do you remember your endless visits to the University library, trying to find more and more information about your final thesis? In a planning course you learn to ask your self: "How many articles do I need? Then go the library and come back AS SOON as you collect that number.

How much easier could your academic life be, if you had learned such a strategy at primary or secondary school...

• So marking the text-resources you used
  • Then  - when you get the grade for the activity - ask your self if you used enough resources, what will your plan be the next time if you want a higher grade?
  • checkmarking in this way is done for yourself:
  • Moodle becomes then: "a student follow your self system"

by W Page -
Hello Fernando & Mike!

• Is G8 going to be another standard format?
  • If yes, will it be in v1.4 Final or 1.5Dev?

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Fernando Oliveira -

Not sure how useful that would be, since this format was created for the G8 Program (it's a very particular layout). My plan was just to post is as an optional update within the CVS (if Martin is up for it). I'm open to other options, though.

by W Page -
Hi Fernando,

Thank you for your response.

I am just getting familiar with moving about the CVS, downloads from it, etc.  If you could please have a bit more patience with me and my questions it would be truly appreciated.

1. Given the new format code Mike and Jon have been working on to allow for easier acceptance of formats other than the present standard 3., [which, from the posts I have been reading appears to have been included in 1.4 Beta], will the G8 Format be essentially plugable into Moodle?
  2. Has G8 been uploaded to CVS ?  If yes, where would it be located at?

Really neat Format and very good Course topic navigation.

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Fernando Oliveira -

Hello WP,

Currently, the G8 format is installed much like the extra modules/programs that people download from the CVS directory (i.e. upload the new files to your existing Moodle installation and run the update script).  Mike has already agreed to upgrade this format to version 1.4 (once there's a stable release). Not sure if this is what you mean by a "plugable" format but the update is quite simple.

The G8 format is not currently within the CVS. I'm still working on a few other features. Hopefully, Martin will allow me (or Mike) to move it there once it's done.

by W Page -
OK Fernando,

Thanks for your response.  Looking forward to this new Course Format.

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Mike Churchward -
Hi -

I will work with Fernando on this, but its not as simple as providing a format. There are also some custom blocks, themes and a couple of code hacks.

I'll try and bundle all of the necessary code into one release with some installation instructions. It would likely be best made available in the 'contrib' directory, but I'll keep you posted.

mike

by W Page -
Hi Mike!

Thanks for your response.

I hope this format will become one of the standard formats.

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Chardelle Busch -

Mike,

I was wondering if it is possible to "package" the marking of the resources/activities part of the course by itself without the other block and theme changes.  This would be a great feature for many moodlers.  As I mentioned above, particularly it would work well for non-academic type of courses that do not require a grade to pass, merely that the resources have been accessed and the activities completed, in order for the participants to receive some type of recognition for taking the course--I would like to see if it could be used by Hugo in his development of contingencies for who can get a certificate.  It is also a great feature for the user to keep track of their progress--very user-friendly. 

Thanks,

Chardelle

by Ger Tielemans -

It gives the user also the feeling that he is controling his own (learning) life!

(The last sentence of the dog in G8 does " subtile" the same: you as user can set the checkmark "read", but can always comeback for re-read..) 

by Mike Churchward -
Probably. It will need to be packaged with a series of code 'hacks' anyway.

mike

by Chardelle Busch -

Thanks Mike,

Progress checking would be wonderful!! big grin

Chardelle

Re: New Course Format: "G8Moodle" - Question for Mike Churchward

by W Page -
Hi Mike!

Is this G8Moodle course format going to be included in v1.5??

WP1

by Carl Rosenfield -

I too am looking for a way to visually mark completed activities. If anyone could provide any information on how to modify Moodle such that it will automatically place a checkmark next to completed activities, I would be most grateful.

Thanks,

-Carl

by Don Quixote -
Hi Fernando,

currently. I am writing a geometry course for the grades 7+8 with moodle activities, flash and java applets. An algebra course will follow. This seems to be pretty much what you are seeking.

For a short excerpt see this demo course.

I think, it will be possible to put together your 25 lessons from these resources. Also, tweaking it to your needs will be possible.

Kind Regards
Andreas

Andreas Leiser
eMathPool
http://emathpool.net
andreas.leiser@emathpool.net

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
webbased teaching and research for
the worldwide mathematical community
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In reply to Don Quixote

by Fernando Oliveira -

Hi Andreas,

This is basically what I'm looking for:

1. An easy-to-follow course that follows the format of the demo course listed in my previous message. Here it is again:

The test site is located here: http://branches.ca/g8moodle

Use student as login name and password to enter.

2. Heavy use of visual aids such as Flash to demonstrate a number of important math skills (fractions, algebra, etc.).  

3. Heavy use of WebWork in a way that allows students to complete math exercises online (immediate feedback)... I imagine WebWork does this?

The entire course will be about than 25 hours long and  I will likely select the areas of study beforehand. If you're interested, please send me a private email so that we can discuss it further.

Thanks,

Fernando

by Jay S -
Hello,

How complicated is the code to place the check mark beside the material. How is the code run. I have been asked to do something similar, but it seems like a lot of work.

by M Gardner -
Hi all.

I'm very eager to use the completed activity functionality offered in G8Moodle. Do we have any idea when it will be available?

Many Thanks

Malcolm