Questions with a list of answers

Questions with a list of answers

by michael mc sherry -
Number of replies: 8
I'm trying to create a question with a list of answers that would be correc. For example Name the four seasons of the year. The student can obviously give the four answers in any order. I've had a look around the nodules section and can't find anything that would do that. Thought of using the cloze test, but then the student can put the same answer for each of the spaces, as each would have to have a the same set of correct answers.

Oh most important, I don't want to have to grade this manualysmile

Perhaps someone has already found a way to do this or knows of a module I could use, all help would be useful.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to michael mc sherry

Re: Questions with a list of answers

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Have you tried Hot Potatoes the J-Quiz option? Easier to manipulate than Moodle's quiz and should do the job/
In reply to Mary Cooch

by michael mc sherry -
I'll give that a shot, thanks for the help!

Gave this a try, but again the same problem. What I need is a question type that allows for four (or a defined number of) answers (J-quiz only allows for one), wich are then compared to ensure that no duplicates are in the student responses. The answers are then compared to a list of valid answers and a score calculated. Unfortunately I dont have the coding ability or experience to code this type of question (yet!)

This may not be possible, but thought this might be useful to others also.

Forgot to mention I'm using moodle 1.9, in case its relevant.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
J-Quiz multi-select allows for more than one - have a look here : http://hotpot.uvic.ca/howto/msquestion.htm

In reply to Mary Cooch

by michael mc sherry -
Again thanks for the help and the link. I had a look at it, but it seems to only give the option to provide the answers to the student, which they then select or not. Having read back my previous posts, I now realise that I had not been clear in exactly what I was after. I would like the student to type the answers, thus using recall rather than having the option to just guess. It would also force the student to know the correct spelling of the answer.

They would be provided spaces in which to type their answers (similar to short answer questions). This could be a single box using commas to separate answers, or a box per answer. These answers then compared to a list of possible answers to determine the grading.

For example
List four of the seven colours of the rainbow.

This would give four answers from a bank of seven possible. The answer could be any four in any order, this could be done using multiple answers in a short question, but 4 out of 7 gives a massive number of permutations. IT would also be preferable to give a percentage of the grade for each correct answer entered.

This may not be possible in moodle, but was just a wish. Again thanks for the help though, much apreciated.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Michael > [...] The answer could be any four in any order, this could be done using multiple answers in a short question, but 4 out of 7 gives a massive number of permutations.

The type of question you want is of the "open response" or "short answer" type. It is vastly more complicated to program a correct analysis of this type of answer than it is to program a multiple choice question.sad You seem to realize this when you mention a "massive number of permutations". You might consider using my regexp plugin question type but be warned that you would have to come up with a few fairly complicated regular expressions to make sure you "catch" all the acceptable permutations. You may try if you wish but quite frankly I would advise to drop the idea you had in mind to start with, since you must realize now that what you wish is not trivial but extremely complicated to implement. This has nothing to do with the Quiz module or Moodle itself but with the complexity of so-called "natural language".

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It's not that difficult to program, but it would need to be a new question type, because you would have to program it up to allow the answers in the list to be given in any order, and perhaps to allow for synonyms. For example autumn/fall.

I have thought of this question type before, and would love to write it. I just don't have the couple of spare weeks it would take.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by michael mc sherry -
I had thought it might need a new question type, and had hoped that some one had already done the hard work of coding it smile. As Joseph said above it is quite comples, particularily when you have to take account of synonyms, I hadn't thought of that.
I'll have to look in to creating the question type when I manage to learn how to code questions in Moodle. I still struggle with HTML and VB, so shoule be funwink.

Thanks for the responses they have confirmed what I thought was the case.

by Kevin Bruton -

I know this is an old question, but just for future reference:

I was looking to do this too, and I found the way to do it using the pattern match plugin.

For the particular question proposed in this post, you would put in the "Answer 1" field:

match_ow(spring summer autumn winter)

The "o" means the words can be in any order, and the "w" means there can be other words in the string you are testing.

If you wanted to give parcial marks if the student only enters, say three seasons, you could put in the "Answer 2" field:

match_ow([spring summer autumn]|[spring summer winter]|[spring autumn winter]|[summer autumn winter])

and then give 75% for this answer instead of 100%.

Another possibility is to use the gapfill question plugin which is a lot easier to use.

cf. https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=329010

But it would give one full mark for each season of the year given correctly.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)