Help - HTML on my FrontPage is corrupt

Help - HTML on my FrontPage is corrupt

by Sylvia Dell -
Number of replies: 10

I own up - I did it, and now I'm stuck with a bug I can't undo! Please can someone help me?

I have a label on my front page with a simple table, containing text and pics. I wasn't satisfied with the look, so tried to add the html to change the background colour for the table and saved it - and that was my big mistake! I now can't edit the label, nor delete it, or anything, as the little edit icons have all disappeared. Even worse, it appears to have corrupted the label that follows it, so that is slightly changed!

• Is there any way that I can edit this label without clicking on the "invisible"/"missing" edit icon?
  • Can I delete the label by going into the file management system/database? IE without clicking on the "missing" delete icon?
  • Is there a site-wide undo function in Moodle? I used to use the content mgt system Plone and could look back through my actions and undo one or more - is there anything similar in Moodle? I could restore to yesterday's status but that would mean losing a lot of updates, so I really don't want to go there.

I would really appreciate some guidance here, as I'm fairly new to Moodle. Thanks in advance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sylvia Dell

Re: Help - HTML on my FrontPage is corrupt

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Try this:

Right click on your front page to see the source code - find where your label's code is(if it has text, look for the text) You should have something like

class="activity label" id="module-310

The number (which I've highlighted in red ) will be the number of the label you want to edit - so remember its number and then

open a new tab or new window in your browser and type this in

http://yourmoodle/course/modedit.php?update=310&return=0

where the number is the number of the label you want to edit. It should take you straight to editor to edit the label.. -delete the contents, save and start again.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Sylvia Dell -
Thanks for swift reply - that's fixed it! That's a useful trick to know - many thanks.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Mary,

Thanks for your helpful reply. approve

As this problem comes up fairly often, I've added a link to this discussion in the Resources FAQ. If you have chance, you may wish to replace the discussion link with the answer you gave Sylvia. wink
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Help - HTML on my COURSE PAGE is corrupt

by Michael Nieckoski -
Hello all -- Mary, are you still there?

I have the same problem, but mine is not in a label, it is in the summary area of the "0" topic - right at the top of the page in Topics View mode. It has made everything on the page disappear below it, including the side blocks and all editing icons.

I've had this occur now 3 or 4 times, and it's always from a copy/paste of MSWord 2007 text. Is there some way to keep this from happening?

I'm looking at the source code of the page, but I don't know which attribute refers to the zero topic....or if it can even be done. I can see that all the course text and links are in there, I just can't get them to display.

Any help would be very welcome!

Thank You!

--mike
Michael Nieckoski
Landmark College
Putney, Vermont USA
michaelnieckoski@landmark.edu

In reply to Michael Nieckoski

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Michael - yes I am still here smile Try this (look at the video which shows how to deal with this - I can't link directly to the video as I am in a school and youtube is banned)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -

If you can't access any other topics on that course page then try the same trick in another course page and then change the topic id numbers until you come to the course with the problem.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Itamar Tzadok -
Instead of guessing the section id you can view page source, find "section-0" (or "section-1" etc.) and then "editsection.php" a few tags down the line, and right next to that you have the section id. That's in fact the edit section url which you can copy into the browser url box, complete the domain prefix and run. smile
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Michael Nieckoski -
Wow, thank you both, Itamar and Mary... I had to combine your suggestions because I couldn't get to any of the other topics as the corruption was in the Zero topic and it wiped everything else out! Great YouTubes Mary - I've bookmarked them both in Delicious, and Itamar's idea for searching for the section ID got my course back! Thanks so much to both of you!

--mike
In reply to Michael Nieckoski

by Calvin J Sid -

Hi there, I have had the same problem. I had a corrupt label. I followed the instruction listed above and have removed the corrupt label but the side block and all editing buttons are missing.

I have had a look at the view source code for the front page and it seems to end abruptly at the point where the label is sitting. I have attached a image to show the source code. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Code Error