Moodle 2.0 - Restore not enabled?

Moodle 2.0 - Restore not enabled?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 16
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I'm doing some tests with moodle 2.0 (HEAD) and it looks like the restore facility has disappeared. I proceed as usual, 1st create a backup file, save it to disk, then go to restore (either at front page level or within a course), click the Restore link, upload the backup-cf101-20081126-1634.zip file to my files and... there is no Action Restore link, unlike there used to be in 1.9...
Joseph
Attachment image00.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Moodle 2.0 - Restore not enabled?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes, it's a pain, isn't it? It is because of the changes to the file API. But it has been broken for nearly 2 months now, which is not really good enough.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Christopher Molnar -
Do you know if there a way to pass the file name as a parameter into the restore.php script manually instead of selecting it?

Thanks!
In reply to Christopher Molnar

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I'm not sure. You need to read the code. I expect it is possible just be constructing the right URL. I would start be seeing what URL the restore link next to each file goes to.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Any idea when the restore function will be fixed in 2.0?
Joseph

by Mari Cruz García -
Hello,

I haven't had a chance to look at the code of Moodle 2.0 yet, but since you are talking about problems with the restore function, and passing the file name as a parameter, I just want to share here what I learned from previous versions of Moodle.

The backup/restore facility in lower versions of Moodle (1.8.2) does not work if the library file moodlelib.php containts the line (333 in my php editor):

$param = preg_replace("/eval|system|passthru|exec|include|require_once|move_uploaded_file/i", "", $param);

and it will stop there.

I think that this line has been remove in Moodle 1.9 .

Regards

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Well, it will be fixed when somebody spends 2-6 weeks on backup/restore rewrite, but first we have to complete conversion to new files API.

For now you can sql dump/restore 1.9.x and upgrade wink
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Colin Chambers -
oh, is backupand restore going to be re written? I didn't notice it on the 2.0 plan.

by Joseph Rézeau -
BUMP
I really need the backup and restore functionality to be available in moodle 2.0 to conduct tests on the Questionnaire module... Any deadline?
Joseph

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
No
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Blair F. -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Just adding my name to the list who are waiting for the restore function. Hopefully soon!
In reply to Blair F.

by Marc Grober -
Moodle 2 Preview 2 and there is still no way to import/restore courses?
In reply to Marc Grober

by Tim Hunt -
There are these things called 'release notes' that answer questions like this: Moodle_2.0_Preview_2_release_notes
In reply to Tim Hunt

by sam marshall -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Surely that wasn't a question - it was more of a complaint. smile

If there was a question, then well, restore (of 2.0 backups) will probably be in preview release 3. Or maybe 4. Or 5. Who knows! Relax and enjoy the ride... smile

--sam
In reply to sam marshall

by Marc Grober -
As I have suggested elsewhere, there is no basis for the July release date as I don't believe any rational SA is going to put an enterprise at risk rolling out m^2 for a term that starts 30 days later.

And one need only consider Peter Seaman's comments (Case for Moodle vs D2L) to appreciate that software with major gaps released to meet artificial deadlines does not do the brand any service (even if Microsoft does it all the time.)

fact is, that we really don't have a fully functioning beta, let alone a release candidate and I have to argue that it is better to take time with m^2 and release a complete and fully vetted product than offer a partial birth....

And yes Tim, I should have read further down the notes. Silly me to think a product allegedly 30 days from release would be fully functional.
In reply to Marc Grober

by Ted O'Neill -
"...there is no basis for the July release date as I don't believe any rational SA is going to put an enterprise at risk rolling out m^2 for a term that starts 30 days later."

Just a plea from part of the world where school terms start in April. A late July release date gives just enough time for m^2 to go through the fixes and teething pains needed before I can get everyone at my uni in line for a Feb/Mar upgrade in time for April 2011. They are conservative (not a bad thing in admins) and will *never* upgrade mid-year, so if I miss that window, we won't get m^2 goodness until 2012.

I'd really like to see Moodle 2.0 come out on time. Even without the Restore functionality. I've already discussed workarounds with our Moodle Partner.

And, one more thing! Plenty of SAs will never risk rolling out a dot-zero release anyway regardless of features. They will always wait for a fix or three.