Hot Potatoes, Hot Pots, Audio Files

Hot Potatoes, Hot Pots, Audio Files

by Antonio Brown -
Number of replies: 7

Hello All

Apologies for my basic questions but I am "Moodler" smile.

What are Hot Potatoes/Hot Pots?

I am trying to upload an audio file for a listening quiz and I am having lots of problems doing so. I've read all the info that I can find on this question but still my problem exists.

The quiz has been created with questions uploaded and I've also uploaded the audio file as a resource. How do I link the two? There does not seem to be any feature to "link" within the question block for "question 1" as previously mentioned.

If anyone has a real, step by step, practical solution to this problem, please please please help smile.

Many thanks

-Antonio

p.s. is there only 1 version of Moodle? Perhaps I am using an older version in which case some of the more current features discussed are not on my version.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Antonio Brown

Re: Hot Potatoes, Hot Pots, Audio Files

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there.
One step at a time - you ask about HotPots/Hotpotatoes
HotPotatoes is a program you download and use offline to create questions such as multichoice/gapfill etc - which can include sound/images/video when you know how. Moodle has a place for you to upload the file you've made - via Add an Activity>Hotpotatoes quiz (assuming you have this option turned on in your Moodle ) The answers will then get stored in the gradebook.
Are you using hotpotatoes for your quiz? If so I or someone can tell you how to get your audio file into your quiz and then have it link properly in Moodle once uploaded.
Or are you using the Quiz module in moodle? If so - well again I or someone can tell you how to do what you want smile
One of the big pluses of Moodle is that you can have this multimedia interactivity - once you know how!
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Antonio,
as Mary says Hot Potatoes is software that you install on your own PC, not on the server. You can use the Hot Potatoes software to create interactive exercises. On the other hand, HotPot is commonly used to refer to the Moodle activity module which allows Hot Potatoes exercises to be administered via Moodle. At least that is how I try to use the terms smile

Once you have made an HP exercise on your PC, you can generate a "web page" version of it using the same program you used to create the exercise. The "web page" version is actually an html file, so you can save it on your PC and view it using your favorite browser. From what you say, you have already been able to do that.

You can also use the HP software to add images, sound files and even movies into an HP exercise. To add an audio player to play a sound file into your HP exercise, you open the exercise in the HP software, and select the "Insert -> Media Object" menu option. Then click the "Browse" button and navigate to the sound file (for example you might have a sound file saved in mp3 format), and click the player you want students to use to view the media file, e.g. "Add Windows Media player". Finally click "OK" and some html code will be inserted into the exercise which will tell the browser what sound file to play and what player to use to play the sound.

All this can be done on your PC, and I suggest you try that now and make sure you can view the resulting exercise in your browser and play the sound OK.

Once you have got that far, you are ready to upload the "web page" version of the quiz and sound file to Moodle. As Mary says, you upload both files to the "Files" area of the Moodle course.

Now you can add the exercise to your Moodle course by selecting the "Hot Potatoes Quiz" option on the "Add an activity" drop down menu in the section (=week or topic) of the course where you want to add the HotPot.

One common "gotcha" at this point is that the HotPot module is disabled by default, so if you can't see it in the "Add an activity" menu, you will need to enable it from the "Site Administration" links (Modules -> Activities -> Manage activities) on the Site page

If you need further help, please let us know smile
Gordon
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Antonio Brown -

Hi Mark

Thanks for the reply. Already I feel somewhat relieved knowing that I can get the help I need.

I will read up on hotpotatoes now that I know what it is. I am sure the program will be very useful for me.

Regarding the audio upload thingy, smile. I am using the moodle quiz module. I actually figured out how to imbed the sound file with the quiz yesterday but the problem I have now is that when I click on the hyperlink in Question 1 of the quiz a pop up window opens for the audio file. Because of this, students can press "play" as many times on the "nero" pop up window. Just in case you are wondering what nero is, it's a media player.

Ok, well I hope I've given you enough information so that you can point me in the right direction.

Thanks and again smile

-Antonio

In reply to Antonio Brown

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
> I am using the moodle quiz module.

I see. This forum is for questions about the HotPot module. We will help you if we can, but you might get faster and more informed responses if you post your questions on the Quiz module forum

> the problem I have now is that when I click on the hyperlink
> in Question 1 of the quiz a pop up window opens for the audio file.
> Because of this, students can press "play" as many times on the .. player.

As I understand it, you wish for (i) the media player to embedded in the quiz, and (ii) for the sound file to only play once. To achieve (i) you can enable mediaplugin filter on your Moodle site. However, (ii) is not possible using the standard Moodle media player. Maybe the Nero player can do it, but at first glance, it doesn't seem to be possible.

> I hope I've given you enough information
> so that you can point me in the right direction.

The link below will take you to the forum for the Quiz module, where they can probably give better help about embedding media into questions in the Quiz module smile
all the best
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Mark Guy -

Gordon, you rang a few bells with me, don't know if this still works

but you used to be able to set a limit to the number of times it played Somthing like this I think ?

EMBED
    SRC="../graphics/sounds/helloo.wav"
    LOOP=1
    HEIGHT=60 WIDTH=144

Try googling  "html embed"  command

In reply to Mark Guy

by emulty salaam -
how to save audio file into hot potatoes jmatch project.?

thanks alot..
u can visite my site at EMULTY
In reply to emulty salaam

by Gordon Bateson -
> how to save audio file into hot potatoes jmatch ... ?

First, save the sound file in the same folder as the JMatch.

Then, in JMatch, select Insert -> Media Object, type the name of the sound file in the "Media file" box, click the "Add Windows Media Player" button, uncheck the "Add a sample link" box, click "OK" then save the new JMatch file.

Next, upload the new JMatch file and sound file to Moodle. When you add a the JMatch to Moodle as a HotPot activity, be sure to set "Force media plugins" to "Yes"

That should do it smile

all the best
Gordon