Graphic Snapshots

Graphic Snapshots

by P. Timothy Ervin -
Number of replies: 12
Could someone please post a snapshot of one of the graphs that should be generated (logs, surveys) in Moodle. I have still to get my setup to generate these and I'd like to see what I'm missing.

I think I have everything set up properly, but nothing shows up. Here is my php setup:

http://osx.yasuda-u.ac.jp/test.php

Can anyone spot the problem? Thanks for any pointers.

Cheers,
ptervin...at a loss
Average of ratings: -
In reply to P. Timothy Ervin

Re: Graphic Snapshots

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
If you log in to this site using teacher/teacher, you can go into Demo 103 and see them.

Also, look on your pages which are missing the graphics, do a "view source" in your browser, and find the URL of the image. Then look at that URL directly in your browser - you may see error messages that tell you what the problem is. It's nothing obvious - your GD and Freetype setup looked OK.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by P. Timothy Ervin -
Thanks for the suggestion, Martin.

The source points to this directory/file: mod/survey/graph.php?id=20&sid=1&type=student.png and I'm getting a "zero byte resource" error. Where are these png images stored, or are they generated on the fly? A search of my server doesn't reveal any so perhaps I need to make a directory for them (a wild stab at reaching a solution!) or change some permissions. I'm afraid I know nothing about the GD function so I really don't know what I should be looking for.

As always, thanks for your help.

Cheers,
ptervin

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
They're completely generated on the fly. I've no idea what a "zero byte resource" error is though.

Can you try turning "debug" on in your admin variables page and looking at the image URL again?

by P. Timothy Ervin -
Same error in the browser with "debug" turned on, so I tried another browser. "Zero byte resource" became "no data available" and that's that. I do get an image of an X in Internet Explorer whereas my regular browser doesn't show anything. Not much to go on, I know, but that's about all the difference I can see.

My Apache error log shows this error:

signal Segmentation fault (11)

I populated all the functions in graphlib.php with Kilroy's and nothing is showing. I'm not sure if a simple print statement will do the trick, but it seems that it should do something if the function is being called. Not a Kilroy in sight.

I'm really puzzled. Should I be looking elsewhere?

Cheers,
ptervin

by Martin Dougiamas -
Try putting print statements all through mod/survey/graph.php ... if you can narrow down a line which fails, or a loop that doesn't get entered, then that will help narrow this down.

The survey module is actually the oldest Moodle module .. its error checking may not be as good as the other modules.

by P. Timothy Ervin -
Martin,

With a fully populated graph.php of Kilroy's, I'm getting exactly nothing: not a single "Kilroy was here" in sight. It's as if the script dosn't even seem to have been called.

One thing I have noticed, however, is that all the other information for the page is displayed (logs, for example, are displayed right away), and then the server pauses as if it is working on the graph script, and then the page is quickly rewritten with a blank space where the graph should be. No error (on the page), and no other indication that something is missing (at least in my browser: Safari--Explorer shows an X).

I've put out a call to other Mac users, so perhaps we will nail this one in time. As always, thanks for your help.

Cheers,
ptervin

by Martin Dougiamas -
After adding the "kilroys" you need to call the script directly: eg mod/survey/graph.php?id=20&sid=1&type=student.png

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi.

I've a Mac at home. I've installed Moodle, create a survey, filled it and I see the graphics perfect, I think (I see the graphs with Explored (puajj) and Safari). smile

What do you need to know ?
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by P. Timothy Ervin -
Can you show me your phpinfo() output? That might help me pinpoint a problem.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
ptervin

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Here you have my phpinfo and one snapshot.

Good luck !! smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by P. Timothy Ervin -
Thanks for the files, Eloy. Aside from running on Apache 2, everything looks the same in my setup.

The only small differences I could detect was that you have a zlib-dir and I don't, my enable-trans line reads sid instead of your id, and you seem to be using MHASH. I wonder if any of these would affect my inability to see graphics.

Again, thanks for the information.

Cheers,
ptervin

by P. Timothy Ervin -
If anyone is running Moodle on Mac OS X 10.2.5, could you please show me your configurations. I have yet to isolate the cause for my server not being able to display graphs. Not a serious issue, as everything else is working fine, but i would like to have the whole thing, if possible.

Martin has been great in offering suggestions, but this must be related to our server. Does anyone have this running complete?

Thanks for your time and advice.

Cheers,
ptervin...still working