Understanding grading in workshop

Understanding grading in workshop

by Asier Aranzabal -
Number of replies: 4
Hi,

I am new using Workshop activity Moode. I have tried once and not very happy with the results, manly because I can not understand what type of calculation are made to grade the students work and assessments.

My general question
I tried to find in the web the formula o calculation made by Moodle for final grade, but I could not find it. ¿Can somebody tell me where can I find it?

Particular questions

I chosen a acumulative strategy for grading
  • I tried changing the option Weight for Teacher Assessments from 1 to 10,and I found that this is the Weight for Teacher Assessments for grading the assesment of each student, and not for grading the submission.
  • I can not understand the effect of the optiiom Comparison of Assessments (lax, fair...). I guess is quite similar to the previous item.
For example. I assessed a submission with 30 points. One student assessed it with 60 and othe student with 30. Using normal option, the first student received an assessment grade of 34/40 and the second 27/40. Using very strict option the first student received an assessment grade of 27/40 and the second 15/30. The second student's assesment is nearer to my evaluation, but received lower grade. Why?
  • I found the final grade of a submission is caluclated by the average of the Peer Assessments, but teacher assessment is not included. Is there any way to include the teacher assessment for the submission in the calculation fo the final grade of submission?
Thanks

Asier

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Asier Aranzabal

Re: Understanding grading in workshop

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Asier,

I fully understand your frustration. The way how Workshop calculates the grades is dark magic. It is not easy to understand it even if you read the code that actually does the calculation. More than that, the whole algorithm depends on a set of strange constants without any explanation or reasoning of the value.
For example - the result of option Comparison of Assessments if a magical number called "factor" with the value 1 for "very lax", 0.6 for "lax", 0.4 for "fair", 0.33 for "strict" and 0.2 for "very strict" option. This factor is then used when comparing two assessments according to formula
$gradinggrade = (($factor - ($sumdiffs / $sumweights)) / $factor) * 100;
I am currently working on the Workshop rewrite and these things make me mad. I personally thing that the grade calculation must be clear and easy to understand to both teachers and students. Teachers must be always able to explain why students got their final grades. That is why I plan to get rid of the fog above the grades calculation, even if it breaks backward compatibility.
I would warmly welcome any other comments, suggestions, and ideas regarding Workshop I should consider in the version 2.0. Thanks in advance!
In reply to David Mudrák

by Arturo Valdivia -
Hey David,

I'm new using this module. So far all I can say is that 1) it's really nice to have all those grading options, but, 2) there's only vagueness in module's help pages. I'm sure that fog above the grades calculations might be easily eliminated by writing nice formulas in the module's documentation, instead of the existing examples from which it's almost impossible to interpolate said formulas. (I'm trying to do that right now for the university I work in.)

Anyway, if may I suggest, it would be nice be able to custom the factors in Comparison of Assessments.

Good luck!

A.
In reply to Asier Aranzabal

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Asier,

regarding the grade for assessment calculation. How does your Accumulative grading form look like? How many elements do you have? How many assessments per submission did you use?

d.