At breaking point with the gradebook

At breaking point with the gradebook

by Ruth Ruane -
Number of replies: 7
I have been working on learning all I can about grades, gradebook etc.
I thought I had it almost figured out. But now there is a BIG problem.
When I go to grade any assignment the grade drop down tab is grey out and I can no longer select it. I am an administrator.

Please somebody tell me how I can get it so that I can actually grade the assignments again.

I have no idea what changed or how it changed it's seems as if the assignments were gradable and now they are not. I have checked and rechecked the main settings and there is nothing different. Why is this happening. I am so frustrated.

In reply to Ruth Ruane

Re: At breaking point with the gradebook

by Kim Conant -

I am having the same problem with one group on the submit files page.  It gave this group a 0/100 and I cannot change it unless I go to the gradebook page.  I have tables stored in my feedback that can only be viewed through the submit files page and I can't get to them to make any changes.  But there is nothing wrong with my other group who uses the same submit files assignment.

In reply to Kim Conant

by Ruth Ruane -
I am having this problem across all courses and all users except mine. I haven't changed any permissions either. It is happening with the submit a single file assignment. When I go to view submitted assignments and click on the grade to edit them the edit box is not showing up and as I said the drop down grade tab is not selectable. I have gone through all the settings on the course gradebooks, and all the general settings. I don't know what has suddenly changed, I restarted my browser, cleared my cache, I am just at a loss and I don't know what I am going to tell the teachers.

In reply to Ruth Ruane

by Nicolas Connault -
Ruth,

Are you able to attach a screenshot of your gradebook's grader report? I suspect that the students' grades for this assignment have been overridden in the grader report, which then locks the grading mechanisms of the associated Assignment activity to prevent grade conflicts. You may need to edit each grade individually and remove the "overridden" setting. This will restore control of the grade to the assignment module instead of the grader report.
In reply to Ruth Ruane

by Gwen Rodgers -
Could it be "allow for quick grading" has been de-selected.  I know that will cause the drop down to go away.  Also, if the assignment is past the due date this will happen.  Good luck!
In reply to Kim Conant

by Kim Conant -

Ok...I found where I can go into the gradebook and edit the grades and uncheck the OVERRIDDEN box.  Now I have two other questions:

1. Can I change the OVERRIDDEN option for an assignment that will apply to all students, or do I have to change each student's individual grade?

2. What caused this option to be chosen?  I have no due dates set.  And like I said before, it is only happening with one "group" of students.  It did not happen with my other "group" who is using the exact same assignment. Also, it didn't happen in the previous course that I had set up for these same students for last nine weeks.

Thanks so much!!

Kim

In reply to Kim Conant

by Nicolas Connault -
Kim, there are a number of things that could have triggered the overridden status for these grades, but the most common is that quick grading was activated in the grader report, and someone edited these grades. Importing grades into your gradebook can also cause overriding to occur.
In reply to Kim Conant

by Eric Westland -

While by no means a Moodle expert, this one drove me nuts as I believe it was a change from 1.8.

What happened to me was that I used the Grader Report, not Quick Grading on the Assignment page, to enter a bunch of scores.  Moodle treated these as an Override and now I could no longer change them on an assignment page.  I could spot them easily later on in the grader report because they were shaded (#1).  The only way I found out to turn off the override was to click on the edit icon (#2) and then uncheck override.  I also found for some reason that I had to do this TWICE as it never saved the change the first time.  I don't know why that happened. Doing this was very tedious and time consuming as I found no way to clear these overrides in a wholesale manner.

The moral I learned was never enter grades via the grader report.

Attachment grade1.jpg