Sending SMS block

Sending SMS block

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Number of replies: 39
Hi all,

in the Center of Innovation for the Information Society (CICEI) at the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (Spain), a block named Sending SMS block has been developed. This block allows to send SMSs to Moodle course participants.

Instructions of how to use it are in Modules and plugins database in moodle.org. There are versions for Moodle 1.6 and Moodle 1.9.

We hope you enjoy it. Any idea will be well received. We'll try to answer here any questions related to this block.

Borja.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Borja Rubio Reyes

Re: Sending SMS block

by José Ángel Polo -

Hola Borja.

El bloque tras ser instalado en la versión 1.9.3. da este error: Keep searching, or use the form below to send a SMS to the selected students, y aparece un error en la página (linea 73, carácter 45 'document.theform.messagebody' es nulo o no es un objeto), y no se carga el form al que hace referencia el primero de estos dos errores.

Esto ocurre tras configurar el bloque con el proveedor dinahosting y haber contratado un paquete de sms asociados a un usuario también configurado ya en el bloque.

Os agradecería me ayudáseis.

Gracias y un saludo.

In reply to José Ángel Polo

by Asanga Wickramasinghe -
hello Borja nad jose,

I tried to use this on the moodle but it gives the same error..keep searching...
What is this?? can you please help me ??
In reply to Asanga Wickramasinghe

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hi Asanga,

Keep searching is not an error. It is an option to go to the previous screen and Keep searching students to sent them a sms.

Regards.

by José Ángel Polo -

Borja, vuelve a darme el error: Keep searching, or use the form below to send a SMS to the selected students

Tras el mensaje no carga nada más. Acabo de hacer una actualización de Exabis-Eportfolio que en su novedad "views" utiliza ajax y javascript. No sé si pudiera haber algún tipo de relación. Gracias por tu ayuda. Saludos.

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hola Jose Angel,

antes que nada comentarte que estos mensaje deberían ir en el foro en Español, puesto que este es de inglés.

Y con respecto a lo que comentas, lo de Keep searching no es un error, sino un enlace para seguir seleccionando usuarios a los que mandar el SMS. Por otro lado, para localizar el error se me ocurren dos preguntas:
  • Cuando aparece lo de Keep searching y nada más, ¿seleccionaste usuarios previamente en la página anterior?
  • Cuando dices que no aparece nada más, ¿tampoco aparece el pie de página típico de Moodle?
Un cordial saludo y recuerda que si te sigue dando el problema deberías postear en el foro en Español y no en este.

by Abishek sharma -
Hi Rubio,
I am using your block at my moodle website.. I configured your sending_sms block using my account at dinahosting...but its not working.. Actually I am not able to figure out how to proceed further... I am getting the above message "keep searching...blah blah" on my sccreen.. after that how do I proceed to write the sms and finally send it to the selected users.....
Please help me out.. any kind of help will be truly appreciated..
Regards,
Abhishek
In reply to Abishek sharma

by Abishek sharma -
Hola Borja,

Please help me as soon as possible...I need to set it up for my college...
I have attached the screen shot of the message which I am getting after selecting the users..
I have selected the users on the previous screen...still its asking me to select the users..
If possible please let me know where I am going wrong...

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hi Abishek,

the message "keep searching...blah blah" is not an error, it allows you to select more users before sending the sms.

Regards,
Borja.

by Abishek sharma -
Hi Borja,

Thanks a lot for responding to my doubt..
I agree with you that it is not an error.. Actually it says "Keep searching, or use the form below to send a SMS to the selected students"..
But i cant see any form on the page.. also when i click on "keep searching" link it goes back to the previous screen(i know this is what it is supposed to do) but after this again i get the same page saying "Keep searching, or use the form below to send a SMS to the selected students"...and as i told already there is no form on the page to be seen...because of which i cant send any messages...
So this is like an infinite loop which is not allowing me to proceed further...
I request you to take some of your time and please help me in this matter.. i ll be really grateful to you.

Thanks & Regards,
Abhishek

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hi Abishek,

If you don't select any student form does not appear. And if you have select some students in the previous page and anyway the form does not appear: could you enable debugging and tell me what errors appears?

Regards,
Borja.

by Abishek sharma -
Hi Borja,

I enabled the debugging and after that I selected the students and clicked on the send button after that i got the same message saying "Keep searching, or use the form below to send a SMS to the selected students".. also page displayed the following error "Fatal error: Call to undefined function curl_init() in C:\xampp\htdocs\moodle\blocks\sending_sms\providers\dinahosting\smsSender.inc.php on line 295" ..

hope I have included all the information required by you to debug... If I need to do anything else please let me know...
(I've also attached the page)

Thanks & Regards,
Abhishek

by Abishek sharma -
Hi Borja,
Sorry I had done some changes in the smsSender.inc.php file so according to that the line number is 295.. but i reinstalled the block on without any changes the original line number on which i am getting the error is 246..

The message is "Fatal error: Call to undefined function curl_init() in C:\xampp\htdocs\moodle\blocks\sending_sms\providers\dinahosting\smsSender.inc.php on line 246"

Thanks & Regards,
Abhishek

by Pedro Luján Martínez -
Una vez contratado:
¿cuáles son los nombres de usuario?
Atentamente
Iaenus
In reply to Pedro Luján Martínez

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hola Iaenus,

al darte de alta en el proveedor deberían proporcionarte un nombre de usuario y contraseña. Y son ese nombre de usuario y contraseña los que debes usar.

Un saludo.

by Alan Warden -
This is very good with a nice interface but I'm having difficultly extending it to cover another provider. Is there an english version of the inc.php file
In reply to Alan Warden

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
I suppose that you refer to smsSender.inc.php. That file was coded by the provider. And i have just look for an english version without success.

If you have a similar file of you provider (for example yourprovider.php) you should create a file sms_yourprovider.class.php extending sms.class.php file. And sms_yourprovider.class.php is the file that calls the functions in youprovider.php.

Regards.

by Bryan Williams -
This is a significant development, can you please use English in your responses. Thanks.

by Salvador Reyna -

Hola Borja,

disculpa, a ver  si puedes responderme, he instalado el bloque y tengo contratado con dinahosting una cuenta, tengo los datos de usuario y contraseña.

Mi duda viene, que el bloque me aparece en el curso como "The Block is not Configured".

Por favor, podr¡as indicarme como se configura el bloque.

He comprobado que en "Modulos->Bloques->Gestion Bloques->Sending SMS" no aparece una opcion de Configuracion.

Mi version es la 1.9.2.

Gracias por tu ayuda.

In reply to Salvador Reyna

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hola Salvador,

antes que nada comentarte que este mensaje hubiese sido mejor ponerlo en el foro en Español, puesto que este es de inglés.

La configuración de tu proveedor se introduce en cada instancia del bloque y no en la configuración general del bloque. De este modo puedes tener un bloque en un curso que usa una cuenta en dinahosting concreta y otro bloque en otro curso usando otra cuenta distinta.

Para ello, después de crear el bloque debes configurarlo. Fíjate que debajo del nombre del bloque aparecen unos iconos (para ocultarlo, moverlo, editarlo, ...), con el modo de edición activado por supuesto. Pués dándole al de editar (el de la mano con el lapiz) podrás introducir la información de tu proveedor.

Un saludo.

by Salvador Reyna -
Vaya. Disculpa mi  despiste. Al final funciono. Muchas gracias por tu ayuda.

Modification and improvements done for the SMS block

We(Asanga and Asangi) , with the supervision of Dr. K.P. hewagamage at the Univerity of Colombo School of Computing, National e-learning centre(NeLC) used this sms block and did some modifications and corrected some bugs. We are using this sucessfully in the university. Anyway still it is in its testing stages. Therefore we like to share our resources and knowledge and we like to hear any suggestions for further improvemnt. The following describes some of the improvemnts we have done to the sms block.
  • This module didn't work properly in our moodle instance 1.9.2+ (Build: 20080924),We did some modification in sms.php file and now it properly works.
  • The sent sms messages will be added to the respective news formus of the cources.
  • The sent messages are now stored in the database and is displayed under sent messages link in the sms block
  • If the user wishes to delete the sent messages he could do so.
  • The users who receive the sms could reply back to the server according to a given format, where the messages are filtered properly and sent to the respective sms forums. Therefore the other users could alos see the replies.
  • Now the sms list shows no of people who are having proper mobile numbers for a given cource.
  • The mobile numbers are now corectly validated according to the sri lankan context. This could be easily changed by modifying the validate maobile number funtion in the sms.php file.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Asanga Wickramasinghe

Re: Modification and improvements done for the SMS block

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hi Asanga,

Fantastic. Is the code available to download?

Only a thing, the original block already store sent messages in database, in table sending_sms (with sender, recipients, text and time fields). But the original block has not interface to show them smile.

Regards.

Re: Modification and improvements done for the SMS block

Hi Borja,
It'll be able to download shortly. I'll post the link soon. Currently we are adding a SMS poll to that block. After testing we'll post the link.

Regards,
Asanga

by Carlos Felipe Garcia Hernandez -

Saludos Borja,

Queremos usar tu bloque de envio de SMS. Por favor ¿ Podrías indicarme que debo hacer para instalarlo ? lo bajé y no encontré ningún archivo que explique la instalación.

Tenemos el Moodle versión 1.8.2 y queremos usar el sending_sms.zip que es para la versión 1.6 por lo que ¿ Podríamos instalarlo tal cual en nuestra versión 1.8.2 ? o ¿ Qué líneas de código editamos en nuestros archivos v1.8.2 ? ¿ Cómo le hacemos ?

Queremos saber hacer bien la parte de conectividad a la empresa de telefonía celular (por ejemplo en México con TELCEL con su servicio de SMS).

Gracias de antemano y espero nos puedas apoyar con esto.

SALUDOS

Carlos Felipe García Hernández

MEXICO

by Kenneth Thomas Moras -
hi
if i want to configure this block to some other sms gateways
what are the different files and changes i need to do......
hoping for an reply .
thx in advance
In reply to Kenneth Thomas Moras

by José Ángel Polo -
You need add the API of your Providers. For example, here you have two API (Providers: dinahosting and incotel).

by vineet menon -
hii

i wish to use this module. Can we use the free messaging websites as service provider like way2sms.com

if so how.
In reply to vineet menon

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hi Vineet,

If your service provider gives you an api, then you can use that provider by extending a block class according to providers/readme.txt file in the block.

Regards.

by Francesc Cabecerans -

Since I am a neewie, I'm probably doing something wrong... but I do not know what to do!!!

I put the SMS folder inside Block folder.

But when checking block list, this one does not appear in the list!!!

I've read in this thread, I should configure SMS block in a instantce, not in general block configuration. I'm very sorry but I do not undestantd as well.

(I'm used to work with Zikula, but this CMS is not alike)

What should I do? Thanks

In reply to Francesc Cabecerans

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hi Francesc,

To finish a block installation you must click Notifications in Site Adminsitration block after putting the block in moodle/blocks/ folder. And if you have done so, then probably the folder moodle/blocks/sendig_sms permissions are wrong.

Regards,
Borja.

by Jenny Christina Miklejewski -
Hello,

I would like to use this modul with sipgate. Could anybody tell me how to do this, please?

Regards,
Jenny
In reply to Jenny Christina Miklejewski

by Borja Rubio Reyes -
Hi Jenny,

excuse me for my late answer but i was on holidays. If sipgate service provider gives you an api, then you can use that provider by extending a block class according to providers/readme.txt file in the block.

Regards.

by Nacho Aguilar -

Thank you, Great block!

If someone has writtern a file 'smsSender.inc.php' for ovh.com or another provider will be a good idea to share them

In reply to Nacho Aguilar

by Jury N. Belonozhkin -

Dear colleges!
After long attemts this block work fantastic good. Please, use it in any countries (not +34 only). Big thanks for help to Alex Novikov, http://smsc.ru.

In reply to Jury N. Belonozhkin

Re: Sending SMS block in PERU

by Martin Contreras -

Hi Jury,

I want to add this block inn my moodle site which is 2.2.1. Can I install in this version? I have a questions: What do you refer when you wrote: use it in any countries (not +34 only) ? I live in Peru and here the code is 51

Best Regards,

Martin