RSS feeds: deleted items in the news forum appearing in the RSS Feed

RSS feeds: deleted items in the news forum appearing in the RSS Feed

by Heather P -
Number of replies: 9
Hello
we have an rss feed set up on our news forum (Moodle 1.9.1). If we delete an item of news in the forum it stays in the rss feed long after the Cron has been run. In fact they won't disappear until a new news item is added, so they could be hanging around for days.

Can anything be done as we don't always have a new item to add. I was looking at the forum thread that is suggesting using a different block entirely as the moodle one might be out of date (http://blogs.reed.edu/moodle/2008/07/rssatom-feed-block.html) , but that sounds like overkill for a bit of a hiccup.

Thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Heather P

Re: RSS feeds: deleted items in the news forum appearing in the RSS Feed

by Heather P -
Hi
I've had a brief look at the block in the thread mentioned above, but that manages to pick up the deleted item too, so now I think it is the output rather than the pick up that causing 'dead' items to appear.
I've tried dropping the cache to 1 minute, making sure the cron runs and the dead item is still there.
I've had a look at the database, but I don't really know which table I'm looking for for rss outputs. I thought the forum table, but my deleted item does not appear to be in it so that can't be where it is coming from.
It isn't the block_rss table that just lists all the feeds added.
Any ideas would be lovely.
Thanks
In reply to Heather P

by Dan Poltawski -
Hi Heather,

It looks like there is an open bug for this: MDL-2890

Please vote for it smile
In reply to Dan Poltawski

by Heather P -
Does anybody know if this will be fixed in Version 2?

In reply to Heather P

by B. M. -
Geez, I was fighting with the exact same problem. Glad to see the bug report - hopefully this will be sorted out asap (EDIT: which it seems it won't: "Status: In Progress. Change by Martin Dougiamas - 23/Aug/06 11:48 PM" sad)

In reply to Heather P

by Heather P -
Still got this issue and clearly it isn't going to be fixed any time soon so the question is, does anybody no how I can trick it into making it disappear?
Can I tinker with the database or something and if so which / where / what.
I checked the forum table and the discussion table and the item I don't want is definitely not there so how do I make the rss let go of it.
Any ideas please?
Thanks
In reply to Heather P

by Martin Vögeli -
Hi folks smile

It also happens for RSS feeds of glossaries. I've got quite a few RSS feeds on my site [1]. I trick it by manually copying (and deleting the original) the latest entry I want to keep. The next cronjob then refreshes the RSS feed automatically. It's not perfect but it works wink

[1] http://elearning.zhaw.ch/

Best wishes, Martin smile
In reply to Heather P

by Ian Hancock -
Hey guys, I'm kinda new to Moodle so sorry if what I am contributing is found elsewhere...

I am using the database module for staff to request Photocopying/digital media/whatever, pretty much anything where they wanted a collection of people who worked off the same job queue to do something for them (which is a lot, if you work with teachers you would understand...)

Anywho, after one of the aides asked how they could find out whether something was added without having to check the database manually (which is a pretty clunky system anyways) I told them I would set up an RSS feed for them. Which of course led me to discover this problem.

I solved my issue using a batch file that nukes the xml file (stored in the $moodledata$\rss\data folder) and then copying in a new one (which is empty) with the same name. The file looked like this (single example):

del *serverstructure*\moodledata\rss\data\1.xml
copy *serverstructure*\moodledata\rss\empty.xml *serverstructure*\moodledata\rss\data\1.xml

I then set up a scheduled task to run this every 15 minutes momentarily before the cron job runs. This clears the xml file which is then populated again by the cron job. This works fine from what I can tell as the rss feed has no issue with adding stuff from the database, just removing the ones that have been deleted.

edit- far from a perfect solution of course, and it would not be suitable if you had many different rss feeds
In reply to Ian Hancock

by David Hernández -

Hello,

Same problem in Moodle 2+

Following Ian's solution, I had success with this:

1) I went to "../moodledata/cache/rss/"

2) As I wanted to delete a forum post, I went to the folder "mod_forum"

3) I deleted all the content there, and voila!

I think this may not cause problems, nevertheless you may backup the content of the folder before erasing it (just in case...).

In reply to David Hernández

by Weston Dunn -

Thanks!  I really hope they fix this, but your solution was good for now.