Admin cannot assign roles in courses and other bad problems after upgrade to 1.9.2

Admin cannot assign roles in courses and other bad problems after upgrade to 1.9.2

by Ulrike Montgomery -
Number of replies: 8

One of our schools has just contacted me with the following problems:

After upgrade to 1.9.2 (build20080711) the following problems have occurred:

1. The admin accidentally assigned all teachers the global role. After realizing the mistake he removed them immediately, but they are still in every course even though they don’t show up in the systems roles any more. They cannot be deleted from the course. I tried to replicate this on different other installations but just like mentioned here I couldn’t either.

2. The admin can only assign admin roles in courses (see attached screenshot) – on the system level he can assign all roles.

Everything seems to be set correctly:

The default role for all users is set to authenticated user – no roles were altered in any way – no new roles were added.

Debugging did not show any results. Prior to the upgrade, everything worked fine.

I don’t have the slightest idea what could be wrong and I appreciate any help which I will gladly pass on to the school.

Cheers,

Ulrike

Attachment Rollen2.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ulrike Montgomery

Re: Admin cannot assign roles in courses and other bad problems after upgrade to 1.9.2

by Tom Murdock -
Hi Ulrike,
From what version were they updating? Did they see any errors during the upgrade?

best,
Tom
In reply to Tom Murdock

Re: Admin cannot assign roles in courses and other bad problems after upgrade to 1.9.2

by Ulrike Montgomery -
Hi Tom,

Thanks for getting in touch so fast.
As far as I know, they were upgraded from 1.9 together with other schools last August by our school board IT folks. So far, none of the other schools had problems.

Cheers,

Ulrike

by Tom Murdock -
It is likely that the upgrade indicated a bunch of errors while it was happening. Without a list of those, you'll probably need someone to wade through the site and database, looking for clues. I can recommend a bunch of experienced people from all over the world, but a kind soul on these forums might volunteer time, too.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. I would recommend doing something soon.

best,
Tom
In reply to Tom Murdock

by Ulrike Montgomery -
Hi Tom,

Thank goodness it's not happening to my own school's installation - we've never had any problems - we are hosted with a MoodlePartner (well worth the money).
As I said, the other school's upgrade was done by our school board's IT staff together with about 400 other installations.
Would it help to run the adminfix.php or the role debugger without causing more damage?
Anyway, thanks for your ideas,

Ulrike

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If you're stuck and can give me remote admin access I don't mind having a look. I'll try not to make it worse tongueout

My adminfix routine is a bit brutal - I would like to confirm it isn't anything easy first.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Ulrike Montgomery -
Hi Howard,

Thanks a lot for your offer - I sent your email address to the other school's admin. I'm sure he appreciates your help.

Cheers,

Ulrike

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Just to close the loop, the admin had edited the assignments page and taken away their rights to assign roles. They couldn't see that all the roles where assigned at the site level.

I don't think they should be able to do that to themselves smile

(Votes please: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-16549)
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Ulrike Montgomery -
Howard,

Thanks again for your help. I have already voted in the tracker. It is indeed a dangerous thing. I'm sure the admin did not do it on purpose.
Next time a school approaches me with such a problem I'll check the roles first regardless of what the admin tells me, before sending out a cry for help.

Cheers,

Ulrike
Average of ratings: Useful (1)