Grading Workshop

Grading Workshop

by Chris Tusa -
Number of replies: 2
Hi,

I'm new to the Workshop Module, and I have a quick question. Is there a simple way to gauge whether or not a student has completed the workshop exercise, that is, a way to automatically calculate whether or not a student has assessed another student's paper (I'm hoping for a method that does this automatically and then calculates this into the student's grade).

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Tusa

Re: Grading Workshop

by Nathan Ducker -
Hi Chris,
I am pretty new to this too, but I think I can help. When you set up the workshop there is an option to give students a grade for assessing.

In 1.9.2 they are the first couple of options "grade for submissions" and "grade for assessments"

If you set the grade, then once students begin assessing, the results of assessments (feedback) they give, as well as the result of assessments they receive about their submission are both automatically displayed in a table every time you open the workshop.

I had troubles, as many of my students didn't bother to submit their work until they were ready to asses others' work. As such, they were to late and then they couldn't partake and messed up the whole system - communicating the dates of submission and assessment to the students is the key to a good workshop.

The other problem you may have, is that you need to get your administrator to fix a bug - the grades don't automatically show in the gradebook (at least not in mine). There is a fix further down the forum list here (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=92785)

Hope this makes sense?
Nathan
In reply to Nathan Ducker

Re: Grading Workshop

by Jared Stein -
Yeah, the scoring breakdown of workshops can be confusing at first.

My workshop assignments are worth 100pts:
90pts for my scoring of their submission (approximately--I weight instructor assessment at a 10 because I don't want a student penalized because their peer did a poor job assessing them);
10pts for their assessment of a peer's work.

I set comparisons to "strict" by default, and Moodle does a good job of comparing what they give their peers to what I gave the same submissions. This is how Moodle calculates how many of those 10pts they earned automatically (I can, of course, adjust this independently).

To avoid confusion or mix-ups I consistently set the submission deadline first, and set the assessment deadline a exactly 3 days later on each workshop to allow students time to peer-assess after submitting.