How to setup a gallery

How to setup a gallery

by Dirk Weller -
Number of replies: 39
Hi there!

I want my students to discuss pictures and I therefore need to integrate about 20 of them into a existing course. Has someone got an idea how to make things look nice while allowing my students to have / keep some sort of overview over the material? Is there something like a gallery-module I wasn't able to find that automatically creates thumbnails from pictures and enlarges them when klicking on the thumbnail?
Thanks for your help
Dirk Weller
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dirk Weller

Re: How to setup a gallery

by Jan Dierckx -
Our school uses Gallery, an open source package written in PHP. Works nice and you can easily integrate links to albums inside your courses: our students visited Köln (Keulen in Dutch). Their pictures ended up in a nicely named link: http://www.olvrode.be/gallery/keulen 
I put up a block on the frontpage which shows pictures from the gallery at random.
I however did not succeed in integrating it more fully into Moodle. I wanted to have one login for each application and the ability to manage the Gallery's user rights from inside Moodle. This may however not be an issue for you since I think you'll be the only one uploading pictures / commenting pictures / etc... 
Another option is  Coppermine Gallery (open source, PHP, MySQL).
It uses a MySQL database to store user rights, picture comments etc..., so I think it will be easier to integrate. I also  noticed there is a separate directory 'bridge' which contains source code to integrate Coppermine Gallery with e.g. different Bulletin Boards.  I plan on moving the school pictures to this package when I have figured out how to make the er.. mixed'bridge'.
If you don't need students uploading pictures, I think the best option is PhotoFrame, from  a very trustworthy developer  big grin
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Dirk Weller -
PhotoFrame looks just right - I very much like the option to comment on pictures. Do you know anything about the 'trustworthy developer' planning on integrating this into Moodle - as a module for example? It would be wonderful to have an option to grade the comments / discussions etc. of pictures built in (not only for arts-lessons but for caricatures in history, political sciences etc.).
In reply to Dirk Weller

by Jan Dierckx -
He is very busy at the moment ...tongueout
Moodle already has nice ways to grade comments and discussions. You could place a link / different links to your gallery (made with PhotoFrame) as topic starters in a forum and then grade the comments from students (grades are built in in forum module). Or you could post links to the gallery as different journal questions (with grading possibility). For a more collaborative exercise you could post pictures in the wiki and let people comment on them.
If you use the HTMLeditor you can include the thumbnail-pictures your gallery generates directly into forum posts / journal questions and the wiki-module.
Good luck!
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Dirk Weller -
Am I right that students then have to look at the pictures, move back to the forum / journal and from then on write about the picture without seeing it? Putting the pics right into the wiki sounds lots better - but what about grading then? Or: Am I missing something?

In reply to Dirk Weller

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Dirk

Take a look at this very discussion for example.

• Imagine if you had attached a picture to the first post. 
  • Imagine all our replies are referring to your image. 
  • Imagine if the rating scales being used on each post were something you devised instead of my "Helpfulness" scale.
  • Note that scores on the rating scales are tallied in the gradebook by student.

See it now?
In reply to Dirk Weller

by Art Lader -
Hi, Dirk,

We have always hoped for a PhotoFrame module. Maybe some of us could chip in to have one developed at moodle.com.

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Dirk Weller -
Sounds wonderful - but I think I won't be a great help because my php coding-abilities are close to non-existent. If there is any other way to support such a project - time should not be the problem. I could of course test and comment on such a module ... thoughtful 
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Sean S -
Jan Dierckx wrote:
I put up a block on the frontpage which shows pictures from the gallery at random.
Would you be able to point me in the right direction to find that block? Also do you know if it works with 1.5.x?
In reply to Sean S

Random Picture Block (Moodle 1.5.x)

by Jan Dierckx -

Sean, I've updated the block for Moodle 1.5.x You can download it here

If you don't want to install a new untested block (which is a wise thing!) another solution would be to use the Random Glossary Entry block that is included in Moodle 1.5. Make a glossary. Then add some entries to it. You can use the HTML editor to paste an image inside the entries.

(Unfortunately the Random Glossary Entry block is not capable of displaying thumbnails from Mike's excellent Photo Gallery Format. See Bug 3921)

Screenshot of the Random Picture block:

Attachment naamloos.JPG
In reply to Jan Dierckx

Re: Random Picture Block (Moodle 1.5.x)

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Jan,

I downloaded the random picture block and tried to install it in Moodle latest 1.52.  I get the following warning message:

Warning: file(/home/telleven/public_html/blocks/block_picture_random/block_block_picture_random.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/telleven/public_html/lib/blocklib.php on line 21

I think I installed it correctly, but can't see how to fix this error.

Thanks,

Clarence

In reply to Clarence Prudhoe

by Jan Dierckx -

Hi Clarence,

The random picture block works in Moodle 1.5.x.

You need to copy the directory picture_random inside your blocks directory. Don't rename it. The directory should be called picture_random

As a result the location of the block_picture_random.php file should be ... /home/telleven/public_html/blocks/picture_random/block_picture_random.php

and not

/home/telleven/public_html/blocks/block_picture_random/block_picture_random.php

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Jan,

I clicked your link for the block pictures randome and while there I download the block_time.  I installed as instructed but I get the following error message:

Warning: file(/home/telleven/public_html/blocks/block_time/block_block_time.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/telleven/public_html/lib/blocklib.php on line 21

This is the same error message I got when I tried to install block_picture_randome.  I guess these blocks don't work in the Moodle latest ver 1.5.2.

Thanks,

Clarence

Time block works in Moodle 1.5.x

by Jan Dierckx -

The time block does work in Moodle 1.5.x. Some 1.5 sites have one of the clocks working.

Same solution here as with the random picture block. You need to copy the directory time inside your blocks directory. Don't rename it. The directory should be called time

As a result the location of the block_time.php file should be ... /home/telleven/public_html/blocks/time/block_time.php

and not

/home/telleven/public_html/blocks/block_time/block_time.php

In reply to Jan Dierckx

Re: Time block works in Moodle 1.5.x

by Bhupinder Singh -

Hi Jan,

Does the time module work in Windows environment.

What is to be location of the php files.

Thanks  

Garry

In reply to Bhupinder Singh

by Jan Dierckx -

The analog clock is just a flash component. It will work on any browser (I've tested IE6 and FF on windows) which has the flash plugin installed.

Installation is the same as with every block and installation instructions are included in the file readme.txt

1. Place the directory 'blocks/time' inside the directory 'moodle/blocks/'

2. Copy the file lang/en/block_time.php to the directory 'moodle/lang/en/'

3. Visit the admin page of your moodle site for the changes to take effect

4. The block should now show up in the dropdown menu when you have editing turned on in a course

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Bhupinder Singh -

Hello Jan,

I was trying to install the Time Block in Moodle 1.5.2

The steps taken are as under.

I followed the instruction I did the following:

At ------www\Moodle\blocks\blocks\time----- I have placed the block unzipped:

block/time

The Second change was copy of the block_time.php file to 

------www\Moodle\lang\en\block_time.php ------

Thereafter I have restarted the application.

I am not getting the time block in the drop dropdown in the course.

Am I missing out on something??????

Shall be grateful for your help.

PS I do not have the picture gallery installed I hope that Is not a prerequisite??

Is the picture gallery also installable on Windows Environment.

Regards

Garry 

by Jan Dierckx -

The picture gallery (works in every frames capable browser on every os) is not a prerequisite. As such this discussion should be elsewehere.

You should copy the complete directory time (which inside the zip file can be found in blocks/time) to the directory /moodle/blocks/

The end result should not be /moodle/blocks/blocks/time/

but /moodle/blocks/time/

Take a look at how all of the other subdirectories inside the block directory are structured.

I'm not sure what you mean with restarted the application

You should visit the administration page of your moodle install: visit /moodle/admin/index.php

Ideas to clarify the install instructions are certainly welcome. I will include them in a next release.

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Jan,

Thanks for the heads up.  My fault.  I missread the instructions.  I have both the time block and the random picture block working.

I especially like the clock/calender display.

I would like to see the random picture block change more often.  It would be nice if we could set a time interval in minutes for the picture to change.

Thanks again for your good work and your help.

Clarence

by Jan Dierckx -

If you set the time interval to 0, a new picture is displayed everytime a user refreshes the page.

To do what you want, you need to change the following line in block_time.php:

$this->config->nexttime = usergetmidnight(time())+60*60*24*$this->config->refresh;

to

$this->config->nexttime = usergetmidnight(time())+60*$this->config->refresh;

The config screen will stil mention days but the interval will be counted in minutes.

The block will not automatically refresh the page when the specified time interval has elapsed.

P.S. Did you receive my message about a possible security problem with your site? I did not receive an answer.

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Jan,

Thanks for the script for the time block.  I will try that out ASAP.

Concerning:
P.S. Did you receive my message about a possible security problem with your site? I did not receive an answer.

No Jan, I missed that one.  I am fairly new to Moodle and have only been working with websites and servers for about 8 months.  If I have a security issue with Moodle, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks again,

Clarence

by Jan Dierckx -

Ok, I sent you an email. (Previous time I used Moodle's messaging system. A block with messages should be visible when you login to Moodle)

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by chris liu -
Thanks Jan for the block. When configuring the block, the only option I have for the directory choice is Main directory. Where might this be? I've tried putting pictures in the block directory but that didn't seem to work. Any help is appreciated. 
In reply to chris liu

by Jan Dierckx -

It uses the course file area. That way people who are not administrators (and can't directly put pictures in the /moodle/blocks/ area) can still use the block. You don't need FTP access to use the block: everything can be configured from inside Moodle.

• Inside your course click on the files link inside the administration menu.

• Inside the file area you can make new folders and move pictures to another folder. You can also upload a zipfile with a bunch of pics and unzip it,...

• If you haven't made any new folders inside your course file area, the random picture block will only display Main directory as an option. If you select that option all pictures in the root directory of the course file area are displayed.

Attachment ScreenShot027.JPG
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Hi Jan,

I just accidentally ran across this thread--another great block from you--and I trust your code.  I had set up a random glossary block taking images, but this saves quite a lot of time not having to mess with a glossary.

Thanks--I wish they'd get the blocks repository set up--we need it!!!!!!!!!

BTW--if anyone would like the images to fill the entire block, then add the following to your theme layout.css:

.block_picture_random div.content {
    padding: 0;
    }

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Steve Hyndman -

Thanks for this block Jan...it's great. I played around with it on my test site and decided to install it on my main site to show off some of the photos my wife and I took this past summer when we visited the UK for the Oxford MoodleMoot.

I followed your directions to set it to show a different picture each time the browser refreshes...we have close to 500 photos from the trip, so this will work great for us...you can see it here: http://www.ekuprofessor.com

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Colin Geenty -

After reading so many good things about this block, I would love to be able to get my hands on it.  If someone could email it to me, or point me to a site where I could download it.  It looks perfect for our school site I am developing where we could roll over all the pictures from a school wide event ie athletic sports or Swimming sports.

Cheers...Colin

In reply to Colin Geenty

by Jan Dierckx -

You can download it in the blocks for Moodle 1.5 section of this page

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Bhupinder Singh -

Hello Jan,

Your plugins are great.

I want your help on a small point. I visited your site and saw that the dictionaly etc are buttons that can be pressed.

Can you direct me to the place if any for a download.

Thanks

Garry

Access multiple search engines from one block

by Jan Dierckx -

The multiple search block is a block which allows multiple search engines to be called by typing a word or doubleclicking it in a text.

The block comes with two search engines preconfigured: Google and Wikipedia. Every teacher can add his/her own favorite search engines or internet databases. This makes it easier to localize than having a separate block for Wikipedia and Google and the likes...

.It can be downloaded from the same page you found it on: choose section blocks for Moodle 1.5.x in the navigation menu.

Attachment ScreenShot017.jpg
In reply to Jan Dierckx

Re: Access multiple search engines from one block

by Paul Nijbakker -
Hoi Jan,

This Multiple search block is a wonderful functionality that we would love to use, but why does it only seem to work on the course page and not on, for example, resource pages or book pages (i.e. study texts where most of the difficult words are to be found)?

Rgrds,
Paul.
In reply to Paul Nijbakker

by Jan Dierckx -

Thanks!

To answer your question: when I made the block, blocks could only be added to the chat module and the quiz module. I am glad to hear they can be added to the resource and book module as well.

I will put up a new version next week, which uses this new functionality provided by these modules. I would also like the block to include a search function for the new Moodle docs.

Something I would like to ask:

• Would you mind if I take out the popup function? I guess it is enough if people could click on a word which is then displayed inside the search form. This would make it easier to update the block. The javascript causes some problems.
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Paul Nijbakker -

Hi Jan,

I do not know if the Book and Resource modules allow blocks to be added (but I guess it is possible if you know the right codes). What I meant was that the multiple search apparantly only worked on text on the course page and not on any other page (I had assumed the thing would work a bit like the glossary links, i.e. a word anywhere in the course, when double-clicked would bring up the search window).

Are you suggesting that the multiple search only works on pages that include the block? Then it must be allowed to have many instances of the block in a course, since one course typically has numerous study pages.

I would in particular focus on the book module, since that already has a side bar/column in which room for the block could be found.

We found that the multiple search pop-up window conflicts with the javascript of the Calendar, but so long as the Calendar is not added as block there is no interference (and the pop up nicely follows the colour themes!). You could ask for more feedback in the Blocks forum (or I could start a thread about it). I am certain many more teachers would consider this multiple search a great functionality, not only because it will make studying a lot easier for students, but also because it allows teachers to guide students towards specific (reliable) information sources (like our in-house on-line dictionary).

Rgrds,
Paul.

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Jerome Decuq -
I agree with that, the pop up function seems to conflict with other things, sometimes the popup opens, but moves together with the mouse cursor, making it impossible to click on the buttons it contains.  The fact that clicking on the word makes it appear in the search form is user-friendly enough, so taking out the pop up wouldn't be such a great loss.
Thank you so much for this block, it allows me to put the site entirely in English, and to have the students learn to work in their second language, without being stopped by vocabulary problems, which is truly great!
I'm looking forward to the new version, as it would be wonderful to be able to use this block from every activity in the site.

by Bhupinder Singh -

Jan,

I am in trouble.

I tried installing the Clock.

After placing the same in its right folder I ran the admin. NOTHING happened I could not see the block anywhere Can you suggest wher I am going wrong.

USing Moodle 1.5.3+

Garry 

The time block...

by Jan Dierckx -

Look at the structure of the /moodle/blocks/ directory. All of the blocks have a similar structure.

I did a screendump of the blocks directory of my test install. Check to see if all the files are there and are in exactly the right directory.

Every block xxx you install, should also have a block_xxx.php in the directory moodle/lang/en/ even if you are not using English in your install.

HTH

In reply to Jan Dierckx

Re: The time block...--ADDONS IN WINDOWS

by Bhupinder Singh -

Can all the addons on your site work in Windows Environment???

Can these go onto a production Environment?

Garry

Re: The time block...--ADDONS IN WINDOWS

by Jan Dierckx -

All the addons should work on all platforms. The time block however requires the Flash plugin installed on your browser. Most recent browsers already have this plugin. It is available for Windows, Mac OS and Linux.

As the readme.txt indicates the blocks are not (yet) meant for production environments. The decision to add one or more to a production server depends on how comfortable you are with your moodle install and on the complexity of the block. The time block is not very complex: it doesn't touch the Moodle database. In fact you could add the Flash code to a HTML block and have an analog clock without going to the trouble of installing a new block.

In fact I wasn't going to update it when Moodle 1.5 arrived, because I was convinced people would use the HTML block to add the Flash components they liked to their sites. I updated it for Moodle 1.5 because some people asked for it.

I guess that should make it fairly safe to use on a production environment.