Database self-test

Database self-test

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
We have some very old Moodle sites that have been upgraded through lots of versions.

I don't think it's news to anybody that the database schema could eventually differ in reality from what was specified and some checks have now been added.

From bitter experience of finding corrupted data in the database (latest was records existing for forum discussions with no associated posts) it seems that the actual data can become corrupt too.

I would like to discuss adding the structure to actually do a sanity check on the data for each module. I guess this would be done as an additional function in each module. It would be nice to press a button and get a report to confirm (or otherwise) that the database is correct.

Any thoughts?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Database self-test

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Howard, the XMLDB editor already offers part of this functionality. Look under # Administration ► Miscellaneous ► XMLDB editor. At the top of the page you have a row of buttons including [Check Indexes] and [Check Bigints], and there is a comment at the end of MDL-15974 about making a [Check defaults]. I think that this is the correct place to add further checks.

And recently I added some consistency checks for the question bank data to the healthcentre, which seems to have a slightly ambiguous status, but can be run by going to admin/health.php.

So I don't think we need a new mechanism, we just need to use existing mechanisms better. I think everyone would be happy if you had time to work on it.

(Well, actually, admin/health.php needs to be completely rewritten so that the strings can be localised, and the tests for a specific module can be inside the module folder, rather than all in health.php.)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Howard Miller -
Hi Tim,

Actually, I wrote the defaults check (and then Petr made it right - story of my life big grin ) so, yes, I agree. I was just taking the logical step that if the schema can get mucked up then so can the data. I have seen this in the wild.

However, don't you think that this is a step more complicated? You can't infer the correctness of the actual data from the xmldb schema. The modules would actually need code to check their own data - for example, I had forum discussions with no posts which is incorrect and thoroughly breaks backup.

As Moodle sites get more and more ancient then this might increasingly be a problem.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Tim Hunt -
Yes, which is why I mentioned the health centre, and talked about breaking it up to make it modular.

Look in admin/health.php. It is a good idea, but currently the implemetation looks like a prototype. All hard-coded lang strings and strangely named clases. Redoing it proerly would be a good thing.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Howard Miller -
Ahhh.. perhaps I should read things properly tongueout

I'll take a look at that - sounds like an interesting project smile

EDIT:
Ahhh... when you get classes like "problem_00002", you have to wonder. Now what problem could that be? big grin