V_Chat, alternate chat module with voice, video and other things

V_Chat, alternate chat module with voice, video and other things

by lou Charrier MIS -
Number of replies: 9

It's been a couple of weeks since i last posted , besides being busy with my work another very irritating reason for the delay is that the wz_dragdrop library i wanted to use for image placement and re-sizing just wouldn't work for me ... that javascript library requires for the webpage to load fully before it can initialize properly, this i 'learned the hard way'...

So i am coding the javascript whiteboard feature myself, using the Object-Oriented techniques i learned while coding the 'live webcam' and 'Live Presentation' features that are now fully functional.

The basic concept of my 'whiteboarding' feature is still the same :

- give all chatters their own 'whiteboaord' : a transparent background 'div' container overlaying a 'base image'

-the 'base image' is selected before the live chat session by the teacher to represent the topic or to give chatters a common point of reference. At minimum the 'base image' can simply be a blank placeholder, it is needed to anchor and size all chatters whiteboards.

- allow chatters to place via drag/drop and to re-size multiple graphic and text elements within their own whiteboard 'div'. Font-face and size can be set for each text element. Images for whiteboard-use are listed in preview mode and additional images can be uploaded through the wysiwyg editor's image interface, the wysiwyg editor can be accessed from within a live chat only by the teacher, uploading images in advance is best but new images can be added as needed.

-allow any or all other chatter's whiteboards to be displayed or hidden on demand, other chatter's whiteboard contents are read-only but any element of your own whiteboard can be edited as you go,

so far i have 'planned my attack', started with the Object definitions for whiteboards and their elements, layed out the management for log-in/out of chatters, defined the structure of the 'commands' to allow whiteboard sharing between chatters ....etc...

Since the image elements can be sized on-demand i will not be adding a vector-like 'draw line/rectangle/oval' feature, it is not really needed if appropriate images are provided:

if this whiteboard session is to be used for 'flow-chart brainstorming' then transparent background gifs or pngs representing the various lines/rectangles/diamonds/arrows/right-angle/left-turns etc.. should be prepared in advance for the chatters...

if this whiteboard session is to share imaginative or original imagery , for example a beauty-makeover, then you can have the students prepare images in advance as an assignment : have them prepare gif/pngs of 'the latest' wigs/glasses/accessories along with this season's makeup colors and shades in the shape of eyeliner/blush-strokes/lipstick. etc.... etc.....

i also decided to create an actual moodle mod for this enhanced chat so that the code and the database tables are seperate from the existing chat module , to that end i am calling it " V_Chat " to differentiate my mod from the existing chat. this will allow moodle users to have both chat modules installed and/or run at the same time (shoulda' done this as the first step but i'm not a programmer eh?! )

V as in Visual, Video, Virtual , Voice ... your choice .......

this means a CALL FOR BETA-TESTERS is on the horizon, i would appreciate hearing from anyone that would like to test-install this module at your own moodle site , it's not ready for release yet but i would like to hear from you now ...

please post your reply here , i will create an account for you so we can 'V_Chat' about this at my moodle site ( this will also help me test the code i have so far! )

Thanks to all ;

LouCharrierMIS@go.com

PS: i also realized that the slide show feature is kinda lame , i will be adding a scroller for the text transcript display, this will make it a lot easier for people that are 'converting' an existing slide presentation ..

originally the slide presentation was meant for multiple graphic files to act as individual slides of a presentation with a text description displayed under each slide , this works fine for jpegs ...

BUT if you have a video file that you want to use as your 'slideshow' you would need to 'chop it up' into individual slides, and if you are converting a powerpoint slide show to flash format you will end-up with only one flash file containing all of your slides.... either way this would require for all slides' text transcripts to be displayed on the same page below the graphic content... so i will add an auto-scroller to the text display area below the graphic , that will make the whole presentation easier to follow since scrolling down was pushing the actual slide out of view. The chatters wont have to scroll-down to keep-up and adjusting the speed of the auto-scroll will create a 'tele-prompter' for the presenter.

PSS: thank you Art Lader , i was really hoping i could use that lib but nogo ...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to lou Charrier MIS

Re: V_Chat, alternate chat module with voice, video and other things

by W Page -
Hello!

Let me know when you need a tester.

WP1

by lou Charrier MIS -

not really an update on V_Chat ,  just a couple of notes:

- glad to see development of a chat daemon is in full swing :   http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=10624   ... this will go a long way towards speeding up the chat experience and will drastically reduce server resources :  THREE CHEERS FOR MARTIN ,  HOORAY !!!  - ( it is NOT kissing-up when one is genuinely impressed ...  ;-} )

- hi WP1 : thanks for your reply , i have created you an account at my moodle , now i just need your email to send your username/password  ..... the following previously established user accounts at my moodle are still active :

• wp1
  • martin
  • michiel
  • nat
  • sylvie
  • chuang

I would like to repeat my invitation to you moodlers  :  help me test this thing by chatting with me at my moodle , you don't need to be a 'programmer' : i need user interaction to get an idea of it's 'user-friendly-ness' as well as cross-browser compatability .... Any requests for account activation will be granted , the only requirement i am impossing is that you post your request here, in this chat forum at this thread (just hit the 'reply' link), you can still email me directly but i will only setup accounts for publicly posted requests.

- i forgot to mention in my first post that the development process of  this V_Chat module has been documented at this thread :    http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=8915  [ hopes-n-dreams, feature wishlists , current tech research reports,  trial-n-error reports , midnite ramblings ... etc ... ]

LouCharrierMIS@go.com

And thanks again to all for the good vibes.....

by W Page -
Hi Lou,

My e-mail is coming to you via e-mail.

WP1

by Hans de Zwart -
Hello Lou,

I would like to try out your chat at your site. I have no idea where you live but I am in Amsterdam which is GMT+1 or GMT+2 (damn that summer time).

You can mail me at vchat at hansdezwart dot info

Hope to see you there (didn't your v-chat have a webcam?)

Kind regards,

Hans de Zwart

by Rhonda Goetz -

Where do I sign up?  I will test, test, test! 

Email:  rgoetz@ciwclass.com

Rhonda

In reply to Rhonda Goetz

by vijay bharadwaj -
Hi,
Is this module working? Can i get a copy or test it.... Finally does a copy of the live presentation module exist? I am from India and am trying to get my institute to try open source..... I have kept my neck on the line.....by convincing them to try moodle
Thanks
Vijay
In reply to vijay bharadwaj

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
No, it never really worked ...
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by vijay bharadwaj -
Hi martin,
Is there any module which would support either whiteboard actually i need to run a presentation and chat side by side and not on 2 separate windows any help?
Vijay
In reply to vijay bharadwaj

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Nope - this is something no-one's developed for Moodle yet.