SCORM Sequencing and Navigation

SCORM Sequencing and Navigation

by yc lim -
Number of replies: 12

Hi... I'm using Moodle v1.9.2+ and i would like to ask a few questions on SCORM.

There are some posts discussing SCORM 2004 Sequencing and Navigation, and i read that it is not yet supported in Moodle. May i know to what extend it is not supported? There are few concepts in sequencing such as the control modes, limit conditions, rollup rules, objective description etc. Does Moodle support any of the concepts above? or totally not support SCORM 2004 sequencing and navigation? If it is not supported yet, will it be supported in the next new version of Moodle (probably v2.0) and when will it be released?

Sorry if my questions are confusing or my understanding in SCORM is wrong because currently i'm still struggling in learning SCORM 2004 :p

Thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to yc lim

Re: SCORM Sequencing and Navigation

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Yc,

Haven't got great news for you unfortunately, Moodle 2.0 won't be out for a while, and there isn't a planned release date at this stage

As you have already found, SCORM 2004 compliance including Sequencing and navigation is not yet supported.

At this stage we don't have a planned development release for SCORM 2004 compliance. When/If we do, we will announce it here in the SCORM forum. We don't know if this will be finished by the time Moodle 2.0 is released either.

The only way to speed this up would be for someone to appear with a bucket of money to spend on SCORM 2004 compliance in Moodle. (any takers?) wink

thanks,
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Martín Langhoff -
> any takers?

Definitely a worthwhile project smile
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
hah! - Don't think that bucket contains enough to work on Scorm... maybe it should be a Money Tree?

smile

Dan
In reply to Dan Marsden

by yc lim -

Hi Dan... thanks for your reply.

Pham Minh Duc has developed a scorm module in 2006 --> http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=45956

Does it work in Moodle v1.9.2+? or in any version of Moodle? Why is it not in the Moodle Modules and Plugins download section?

Thanks.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Burke Allen -

our group would be interested in helping provide for development resources for this.  we have a lot of experience building out custom content for commercial LMS systems and have even built a few home grown LMS systems for fortune 1000 companies, and have recently began getting really into Moodle.

just give us a shout, if we can help in any way.

we could do tihs development for 1.9+  or 2.0 versions of moodle

In reply to Burke Allen

by Dan Marsden -
Hi Burke,

If you're volunteering your services for free the definately contact me off-list and I can give some direction on where you could start and focus your efforts!

smile

Dan
In reply to Burke Allen

by Abhi puri -

Hi,

I'm trying to setup logic based on grades between scorm1.2 packages with single SCOs in them.

Can you look at how I have this setup for lessons, and perhaps help develop the same logic between scorm activities. User cant get to the Lessons till they complete the Diagnostic. Lesson 1 if Diag Completed, Lesson 2 if score > 33, Lesson 3 if Score > 67.

The mdl_lesson table has "dependency" and "conditions" rows. Perhaps we could duplicate that logic with similar rows in mdl_scorm table.

You can login to my site at www.yourperfectscore.com/new and look under "Course"

user: student

password: student

In reply to Abhi puri

by Dan Marsden -
Hi There,

I think what you are asking for is available as the 3rd party patch "activity locking" - search for it in the forums. Moodle 2.0 has these features built in.
In reply to yc lim

by Rene Folse -
I have several hundred hours of recorded video content on various topics. I have all of this arranged in various static courses in Moodle. I know also that Moodle is well capable of just playing back a SCORM object. But as yc lim said at the beginning of this thread, I too am interested in "Sequencing and Navigating" but need to catch up on what that might imply. Here is what I am trying to do.

My content is for doctors and lawyers who are very advanced. My rigid, linear curriculum is not an exact fit. My dream is to talk to a prospective student, find out exactly what they know now, and what they need to know, and then Sequence a unique one-of-a-kind course for them out of my hundreds of hours of content. This was the promise of SCORM when I studied the concept a few years ago. I will have some time on my hands this December to see if using some combination of tools I can create custom one-of-a-kind courses. I could kludge together a class outside of Moodle that could do this, but would not have logging and other nice things.

Has anyone ever done this, or have any ideas on how one-of-a-kind classes could be created using any particular tool set or platform?
In reply to Rene Folse

by chris dennison -
Have you had a look at the lesson module? I created a demo lesson that chose a different route depending on answers given.

Chris