HTML Code Shows in Forum

HTML Code Shows in Forum

by Cynthia Alexander -
Number of replies: 8
I have an instructor who is copying and pasting text from a Word document into her forums. She is NOT doing this using the HTML editor but rather just opening the Word document and using copy and paste. Everything looks fine when she saves the forum posting. However, when she (or her students) goes back to the forum posting, she sees the html code.

Any ideas on what she can do (rather than not using Word)?

~Cynthia
Attachment english101-html_code.gif
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cynthia Alexander

Re: HTML Code Shows in Forum

by A. T. Wyatt -
Does it help if she clicks on the "clean word HTML" button on the editor? It is on the top bar, third from the end.

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by John Ryan -
I also have a user that has this problem. Each day a "Student Bulletin" is produced in Word. This is then copied and pasted into a new News forum discussion each day.

Sometimes code appears as it does for Cynthia. Using clean Word HTML works for this but the bulletin often has a table of sports fixtures and the clean Word HTML corrupts the table and terminates the document in the middle of the table. This has the knock on effect of disturbing the front page -some of the blocks then appear in the middle of the News item.

When I look into the code I find a huge numbers of empty <span> and </span> tags. The numbers of these seem to increase each time I toggle the "view HTML source".
In reply to John Ryan

by John Ryan -
My previous submission is an example of a copy and paste from word. It causes the same problem on this site.

When I first uploaded it, the "edit/delete/reply" links were actually within the table but I edited it to take out most of the irrelevant information and the table seemed to fix itself somehow.

Any clues as to where the problem lies Word or the HTML editor? (or both). Solutions would be most welcome.

John
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by John Ryan -
<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Tahoma; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:1627421319 -2147483648 8 0 66047 0;} @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:536871559 0 0 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} h2 {mso-style-link:" Char Char"; mso-style-next:Normal; margin-top:12.0pt; margin-right:0cm; margin-bottom:3.0pt; margin-left:0cm; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; page-break-after:avoid; mso-outline-level:2; font-size:14.0pt; font-family:Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family:Arial; mso-ansi-language:EN-US; mso-fareast-language:EN-US; font-style:italic;} p.MsoToc2, li.MsoToc2, div.MsoToc2 {mso-style-update:auto; mso-style-next:Normal; margin-top:0cm; margin-right:0cm; margin-bottom:0cm; margin-left:12.0pt; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Verdana; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:EN-US; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} span.CharChar {mso-style-name:" Char Char"; mso-style-locked:yes; mso-style-link:"Heading 2"; mso-ansi-font-size:14.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:14.0pt; font-family:Verdana; mso-ascii-font-family:Verdana; mso-hansi-font-family:Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family:Arial; mso-ansi-language:EN-US; mso-fareast-language:EN-US; mso-bidi-language:AR-SA; font-weight:bold; font-style:italic;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Sports Fixtures for Weds 17th Sept

Team

Opposition

Start

Venue

Transport

Competition

Meet

Football 1st

COLLYERS

2.30pm

COLLYERS

MINIBUS

LEAGUE

1.10PM IN SPORTS CENTRE

Football 2nd Second Years

CITY

2PM

WATERHALL

MINIBUS

FRIENDLY

1.10PM IN SPORTS CENTRE

Football 2nd First Years

TRAINING

1.30PM

BHASVIC

1.30PM IN SPORTS CENTRE

Ladies Football

STEYNING

2PM

BHASVIC

FRIENDLY

1.15PM IN SPORTS CENTRE

Netball 1st

TRAINING

1.30PM

TENNIS COURTS

1.20 PM IN SPORTS CENTRE

Netball 2nd

TRAINING

1.30PM

TENNIS COURTS

1.20PM IN SPORTS CENTRE

Men’s Basketball

TRAINING

1.30PM

In reply to John Ryan

by A. T. Wyatt -
This is not going to help you, but I avoid word whenever I can for just this reason. I find the markup that it adds to the text to cause all kinds of problems! I think I was copying and pasting from excel and having better luck, but I usually use an html editor when I can. Maybe someone else will come along with some better advice!

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Cynthia Alexander -
ATW -
I am writing her now to ask her to try the clean Word button. Thanks,
~Cynthia
In reply to Cynthia Alexander

by Chrissy Trenholme -

I have found the same, so I copy the Word information into notepad so it strips the code, save and then copy and paste into moodle. 

In reply to Chrissy Trenholme

by Neil Ballantyne -
Cutting and pasting via Notepad is definitely the cleanest way I've found.