gradebook letter grade an item

gradebook letter grade an item

by Greg Rodenhiser -
Number of replies: 7
We're running Moodle 1.9 and I've just been asked a gradebook question I don't have an answer to. Is it possible to have a gradebook item that is letter graded? I know I can have the grade report show the item in letter format but how about allowing the instructor to assign a letter grade to an item in the gradebook?

For example it makes perfect sense to have a percentage grade for things like tests/quizzes etc. But for more subjective items like a paper, an intructor would much rathre enter in an A or B instead of an actual percentage. This could then get assigned the lowest percentage score from the Letters to percentage mappings already in Moodle. I also tried creating a custom scale (F, D, C, B, A), but this maps to 0% 25% 50% 75% 100% respectfully, which throws off the course grade average for that user.
In reply to Greg Rodenhiser

Re: gradebook letter grade an item

by Garret Gengler -

We are having the same problem.

Several of our instructors also want to grade by letter grade... We made a letter grade scale, but even when you have only one graded item, the course grade average doesn't match the letter grade for the one graded item.

Have you found a way to set how the scale maps to percentage values?    I.e., could we override the simple scale division so we can set something like C=70%, B=80%, A=90%?

In reply to Garret Gengler

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Garret,

To set how a scale maps to percentage values, you could add some filler items such as "-" to the scale. For example, the scale -, -, -, E, -, D, -, C, B, A, - would make C = 70%, B = 80% and A = 90%.

An alternative option would be to use a grade calculation to work out new values from the scale. See Grade calculations for more details.

by Mert gokkaya -
We tried to add missing, excused omitted in the regular drop down box, coding weblib.php and assignment/lib.php helped us to have these items in the drop down but figuring out that we have to change database too just did not fit right, have not give up yet on that.
Than focused on using scales, adding this 3 items in the scale just yielded an error of 0.97. scale simply added number of items (100 + 4 custom grades,omit excused etc) and than divided 100/104, so every level incremented by 0.97.
May be just had to hard code scale function, to fix the number of elements
In reply to Greg Rodenhiser

by Dennis Williams -
We are in the same boat. Where does the gradebook pull the scale score from? I discovered this when I created a four item scale (inadequate, adequate, good, excellent) for a dataase, and discovered that it was giving 0%, 33%.... So I tried to use the "five star" scale approach for that assignment. For "no stars" it assigned 1 point, for five stars it assigned 6 points!? Naturally, I'd like to give no points for no stars and five points for five stars. Better would be the power to change the scale.
In reply to Dennis Williams

by Garret Gengler -

Yes, I think the custom scales feature is fundamentally useless if you cannot control the mapping of scale points to percentages.

by Rob Monk -

I'm with you Garret.

When you define a custom scale you should do so on a grid arrangement that allows you to assign percentages to your scale points. Is there a feature somewhere on the tracker where we can vote for this?

In reply to Rob Monk

by Evan Irving-Pease -
I realise this is a bit of an old thread, but in answer to your question Rob yes there is a ticket on the tracker for this issue... MDL-17258.

As this problem has a negative impact on a larger project I'm working on at the moment, I've been asked by my employer to develop a patch to resolve this ticket.

I've started a new forum thread discussing the problem and asking for ideas and suggestions from the community if you or the other posters would like to contribute.