Course Letter Grades Really NOT Available?

Course Letter Grades Really NOT Available?

by Marc Grober -
Number of replies: 9
I finally came across this discussion:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=92211#p422967
which suggests if I read it aright that the super duper new fangdangled imporved Gradebook module that shipped with 1.9 couldn't do course letter grades (one had to create a new grade item and populate calculations for it) and that this has not been addressed in the 6 months since that discussion.....

Could someone please explain?
In reply to Marc Grober

Re: Course Letter Grades Really NOT Available?

by Gary Anderson -
Marc:

The issue in that post is that people wanted to display both grades and percents. That was a feature in < 1.9 that was overlooked in the current gradebook.

In our school I simply added a patch so that the percent used to compute the letter is always printed after the letter grade, which works for us. I put it in a <span> tag so that if anyone asks for the percent to not show, we can just use a style sheet entry to not display the percent.

To use our fix, in /lib/gradelib.php, change line

return format_string($letter);
to

return format_string($letter).'<span class=perc>('.format_float($value,$decimals,$localized).')</span>';
--Gary
In reply to Gary Anderson

by Marc Grober -
I understand what you were doing, but I don't know if you understand my problem ;=}

Let me see if I can restate it correctly.... you patched the code to add the per cent after the letter grade.... however, I can't get the letter grade.... period. At least not for categories or class grade, only for assignment. I have spent quite a bit of time poring over the FAQs, tutorials, and docs and frankly have apparently missed the boat.........
In reply to Marc Grober

by Tom Potts -
In a nutshell, you need to: go to your module, click on grades and then select 'edit course settings' from the drop-down list. Under 'grade item settings', select 'grade display type' to be letter. And there it is! To change the percentages that correspond to each letter, select 'edit letter' instead.

Hope this is useful.

Tom
In reply to Marc Grober

by Gary Anderson -
Marc:

While Tom's advice was on how to change gradebook items to letter grades, to change category and course summaries (called aggregations) to display letter grades, do this:

* In the gradebook, select Categories and items
* Click the edit icon for Category total or Course total
* From the Grade display type menu, select letter

Repeat this for any other totals that you want displayed as letters.

I hope this helps.

--Gary

In reply to Gary Anderson

by Marc Grober -
The diff between items and aggregations is critical - The additional info proposed here should be integrated as soon as possible.....
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Talk:Grade_letters
In reply to Marc Grober

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Tom and Gary, thanks for your explanations approve and Marc, thanks for suggesting that they are added to the documentation. Here they are: Grade letters

Please feel free to edit the page to make the information clearer. wink
In reply to Marc Grober

by Herman A. Serrano -
Is there a way to have both the letter grade and the real number appear?
In reply to Herman A. Serrano

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Herman - AFAIK and according to the help file it says:

Grade display type

Specifies how to display grades in the grader and user reports. Grades may be shown as actual grades, as percentages (in reference to the minimum and maximum grades) or as letters.

I do not see an option for both number and letter grades. You could have the number grades or possibly add another column but as I read it you have to choose between the letter and number. If you want, an option or patch could be created for both, i.e. number (letter) so you would get something like 95.55 (A). Feel free to file an issue in the tracker. Peace - Anthony