New feature for Moodle 2.0 - flagging questions during an attempt

New feature for Moodle 2.0 - flagging questions during an attempt

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 14
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This has been asked for a few times before, and a couple of days ago while walking to work, I realised that it would be quite easy to implement for Moodle 2.0.

In typical coder way, I have already written half the code, but only just wrote the specification document: Development:Flagging_questions_during_a_quiz_attempt. Even though this is already half-implemented, it would still be great to have any comments or suggested improvements. It may be a few days before I can do any more work on this, and if there are good suggestions it is not too late to incorporate them.

The tracker issue is MDL-16263. Below is a bit more info, copied from the docs page.

We want students to be able to mark certain questions as they are doing them for whatever purpose, for example:
  • because they want to go back and check their answer before submitting the quiz.
  • because the results will only be released later, and they particularly want to remember to check whether they got this question right.
  • because they want to ask their friend or teacher something relating to that question later.

This should be a simple toggleable marker, so a question is either flagged or not. The flag is controlled the person attempting the quiz. Other people (for example a teacher reviewing the quiz) can see but not change the state.

Teachers should be able to configure whether flags are used on a particular quiz

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: New feature for Moodle 2.0 - flagging questions during an attempt

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
In the bug, Ray Lawrence asked:

Trying to visualise the interface where a quiz has the timer running. The timer position is already considered problematic in many quarters. In addition to being an annoyance will it now potentially obscure the flagging option?

No need to visualise, I'll post a screenshot. The thing to remember is that because of MDL-15452 the interface for students taking quizzes has already changed a lot (hopefully for the better), and the timer has already moved into a place where it does not overlap anything.
Attachment Screenshot.png
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Venkat V -
Hi Tim,

I think the interface should also have a button which will help me review flagged questions.

I think that is missing in the above screenshot.

The functionality goes as follows.

During the test, if i am doubtful about the answer to the question on screen and want to verify it at a later stage, I can flag it and come back to it towards the end if i have time for verification.

Please let me know if this can be added.

Thanks
Venkat
In reply to Venkat V

by Tim Hunt -
The flagged questions should be visible in the navigation - there should be a little red triangle at the top right of the [1] button in the above example.

The flagged questions are also indicated on the summary page that you go to before submitting the quiz.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tieku Bortei-Doku -

Hello Tim,

I think the ability to flag a question is extremely important. This is how we would use flags:

During a timed quiz attempt, the student gets to a question which he finds difficult and therefore could take quiet a bit of time to solve. So he decides to move on to the next question, with the intention of going back to that question when he has got all the easy ones out of the way. But when there are say 100 questions, it would be difficult for him to remember which questions he was not sure about.

You should be able to flag an answered or an unanswered question; you could answer a question and still decide to flag it since you are not too sure of the answer you gave. So my simple definition of flagging a question is – marking a question you want to go back to, to answer or review before all your time for the quiz runs out.

The next important thing would be to have an immediate visual indication for flagged questions. My suggestion is: just as the current page number shows up bold, a flagged question should show up maybe bold and in a particular color.

For example:

Question: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Lets me know questions 4 and 8 are flagged and I am currently on question 10.

A question can be flagged with a simple check box:

Flag [√]

I have said a lot but a hope it helps.

Tieku

In reply to Tieku Bortei-Doku

by Tim Hunt -
That is pretty much exactly how it works, only in Moodle 2.0 the question navigation looks very different. Flagged questions get a little red mark in the corner. (Acessibility rules say that you should not indicate significant things with just a change of colour.)

And when JavaScript is on, you the checkbox is hidden, and you just click on the flag which changes from pale grey to coloured.

Also, in Moodle 2.0, it automatically gives you a list of unfinished questions before you submit the quiz, but as you say, you need flags too for the case when the students enters a guess to starts with, and wants to go back and think again.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tieku Bortei-Doku -

Hello Tim,

Is there anywhere i can go to demo Moodle 2.0?

Tieku

In reply to Tieku Bortei-Doku

by Tim Hunt -
I'm afraid not at the moment. Normally, demo.moodle.org is upgraded at about the time that the beta is released. It is quite to set up your own test install, if you are familiar with that sort of thing.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Venkat V -
Tim,

When and where do i get access to these codes?Please help as I am in the process of designing one such quiz website using moodle.

Thanks
Venkat
In reply to Venkat V

by Tim Hunt -
You can get the Moodle 2.0 code the same way you get any Moodle code, via the download links above, or CVS or git. See Moodle_2.0_release_notes for the latest information about the release.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Venkat V -
Hi Tim,

I have already made a lot of customizations to the previous version of Moodle which need to be given up if i shift to the new version. Also, the fact that it has been listed as unstable worries me. But would love to include the flagging questions during the quiz for review later in the quiz or after the quiz feature in my test page.

Is it possible to give me the suitable code changes pertaining to only this feature or guide me regarding the files where I can find these changes so that i can incorporate only these changes to my older version of Moodle.

Thanks and really appreciate your help.

Regards,
Venkat
In reply to Venkat V

by Venkat V -
Hi Tim,

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I am badly in need of adding the flagging feature to my quiz but wouldnt want to shift to moodle 2.0.

Please let me know how it can be done.

Thanks in advance,
Venkat
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Tim, thanks for this new feature in Moodle 2.0. approve

Apologies if I'm missing something obvious, but I can't find a setting for teachers to configure whether flags are used on a particular quiz (as mentioned in the specification Development:Flagging questions during a quiz attempt). Just wondering whether this has not yet been implemented?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)