Course Creators appear in Potential Members list

Course Creators appear in Potential Members list

by Kyle Schiefelbein-Guerrero -
Number of replies: 6
When teachers are creating groups for their courses, all of the users assigned the role "Course Creator" and "Better than Course Creator" (our custom role) appear in the list of Potential Members.
Screenshot of Groups
Is there anyway (in the role details) to "hide" these roles from appearing in the Potential Members list?

Thanks,
Kyle
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kyle Schiefelbein-Guerrero

Re: Course Creators appear in Potential Members list

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Did you make these roles site wide via front page admin>users>permissions>assign system roles? In which case they'll appear everywhere.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Kyle Schiefelbein-Guerrero -
Yes I did. Is there another way to make certain people have those roles throughout the site? It's odd that these people do not appear in the Participants or the Assignments modules, but appear in the Groups list.

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Kyle - In part I can think of reasons why the course creators might be included as a special group; however, I think most of the time teacher are looking to group students. You raise an interesting point about the course creators not being included with assignments and elsewhere. For the sake of consistency I think it would be good to filter based on the same capabilities but I need to look at the logic of what is happening. Can folks think of examples of when a course creator or admin would be put into a group? If we were to remove them, would there be an outcry? I would be interested in hearing discussion here and if folks are interested and would prefer that they be removed that they vote for the issue you created in the tracker at MDL-16332. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Ruth O'Nell -

We use courses in agency wide testing that require all members to comply, no matter what their role.

Ruth

In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Edward Beckmann -
Hi

i have a similar problem to the one above (running on 1.9.7). I have a role for people who need to do similar things to teachers, and it is based on editing teacher (called 'project team'). However, the people with this role do not appear in the groups list as potential members, but they need to be.

The context is I have a course running nationally. Some activities are ungrouped, some are separate groups by geographical county. Teachers cover all areas, but the project team should only see those from their county (i.e. their group).

Any ideas how I can solve this one please?

Thanks

Ed

by Ruth O'Nell -

I have group members with site permissions as well as course category permissions as well as student permissions within the course.

While this does not "hide" a Role label in the group creation page, the role label now becomes "Multiple roles".

Ruth