Politeness, Respect, Trust and Humility

Politeness, Respect, Trust and Humility

by Marc Grober -
Number of replies: 2
Regarding http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=103424&parent=457462 appended below):

One can find the referenced book, "Producing Open Source Software" here: http://producingoss.com/en/index.html

A problem with extending this kind of analysis (and this is not "new" in that deference and related topics have been the subject of discussion among cultural anthropologists and sociologists for some time) in addition to the argument that this type of communication is inconsistent with traditional western male communication patterns (or perhaps part and parcel of same as some might argue....) is that it tends to marginalize intrinsically or extrinsically. By way of example, I know of IT staff who have been identified as "poisonous" because they save the company money, because they work too hard, etc. Likewise, any critical analysis opens an individual to claims that one is "negative". And while the anti-poison crowd might suggest that they just want everyone to be moderate, once in process the result is the Whitehouse calling Representative Murtha a traitor..... Anyone who has ever taken even an introductory class in Social Psychology understands that this "cure" sounds great, but is arguably worse than the "cancer" feared.

As far as Moodle is concerned, quite a few persons have suggested to me that they would rather bow out than push, and I think the community has suffered thereby.....

And no, I am not arguing that we should be impolite, disrespectful, distrustful or arrogant. Only that the 4 horsemen recommended seem to me to be synonomous with Bill Bennet's idea of civility, which is code for deference, not mutual respect.

Re: Hack repository - Open Source Projects and Poisonous People
by Jens Gammelgaard - Monday, August 18, 2008, 08:06 AM
Have you seen: '' or just the first 10 minuttes,- and did you see it in time - to make a win-win situation for all - and not least for the Project? smile
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marc Grober

Re: Politeness, Respect, Trust and Humility

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I have been involved in a number of open source projects and a number of voluntary/charity groups. The parallels are quite interesting. In almost every case an "elite" tends to bubble to the top and this isn't always based on merit or any kind of consensus. When you are not paying someone a wage it is hard to influence their activities.

There's inevitably some issues with this (including the "how dare you critcise us" affect), but Moodle is miles away from some groups I have had the misfortune to be involved with.

I don't mean that as criticism of this or any group, it's just a reality that has to be managed. Rather like what that video says I guess.
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Politeness, Respect, Trust and Humility

by Russell Waldron -
Code duelloThere have been moments when I felt these points were forgotten in Moodle Lounge at times:
  1. Feeling 'entitled' can undermine courtesy.
  2. Negotiation can lose directness and dignity when an audience is invited.
  3. Guessing (about motives or purpose) is not necessary, given telecommunications and goodwill.
  4. Accusations are usually half-truths (not a basis for policy development).
Do remind me of this if I get heated, please.

Russell

Image from Wikipedia