Hitler Youth Instructional Unit

Hitler Youth Instructional Unit

by Art Lader -
Number of replies: 29
Okay, our third-year German students will read two novels this coming year in which the Hitler Youth organization plays a significant role (Die weisse Rose and Damals war es Friedrich). We would, of course, be speaking and writing in German (well, 99% of the time).

We know how we would develop our traditional instructional unit, but how would we begin to make the unit more constructivist?

Here's the begining of our thinking of what such an instructional unit might look like (very tentative!):

Topic: Hitler Youth

Objectives: Upon completion of this unit, the learner will be able to:
* discuss the structure and objectives of the Hitler Youth in Nazi Germany
* discuss the advantages and disadvantages of belonging to the Hitler Youth
* discuss both postive and negative aspects of group membership in society in general

Activities:
* discuss our own membership in groups such as our families, the the Boy Scouts, soccer teams, etc.
* conduct interviews of classmates and family members about group membership
* create posters illustrating the results of our interviews
* discuss interviews in class
* conduct online research about the Hitler Youth
* discuss our findings online (forum, not chat)
* read and discuss Hitler Youth excerpt from Damals...
* take a quick comprehension quiz (for a grade) on the above exceprt
* write an online journal entry (for a grade) from Friedrich's point of view
* conduct online research about the White Rose movement (an ill-fated attenpt to resist the Nazis)
* discuss research findings
* read and discuss Hitler Youth excerpt of Die weisse Rose
* take quick comprehension quiz (for a grade) on above excerpt
* in small groups, do research about negative and positive groups in our own society (presumably groups like volunteer fire brigades and white supremacist groups)
* present results of above research to class (for a grade)
* create and turn in PowerPoint presentation about above research (to be posted to our web site)

Assessment: Indicated in Activities section above.

Extension: If students wished to do so, we could take a trip to the Holocaust Museum in Washington, DC. This is unlikely, though.

This seems like a pretty traditional unit to us. (It would take a three weeks, by the way.) But it does require students to construct things for one another, collaboratively creating a small culture of shared artifacts with shared meanings [link], doesn't it?

What do you guys think? (Go ahead, be honest. We can take it.)

-- Art
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Art Lader

Re: Hitler Youth Instructional Unit

by Jeffery Watkins -
Art,
       I am a social studies teacher and the unit looks like something I would do in class.  You might also want to discuss why someone would be attracted to a group, what the group does for self esteem and belonging.  Also, maybe talk about nationalism, as the Hitler Youth was a nationalistic organization. Are the Boy Scouts of America nationalistic, and if so, what is the difference?

A neat activity might be to break them up into groups... 1, 2, 3, 4 and have all the 1's research and write about a certain aspect of the book or the Hitler Youth... all the 2's do another aspect and so on... 

Then, have each group break down further... 1a, 1b, 1c, 2a, 2b, 2c... and have all the A's get together, all the B's, all the C's.  Each group would have an "expert" in their field, who would teach the others what they have learned.

Nice collaborative/cooperative learning activity.

As far as grading, giving a grade for the items you create, like the posters, or the discussion forums and powerpoint presentaions would be a more authentic assessment.  How about creating a Web Museum of the Hitler Youth.  You could create a new class in Moodle that would serve to teach others about what you students learned.  You could find sound bites, pictures, texts, include your own forum discussions, create a glossary of terms,... lots of cool stuff.

I always wanted to do colloborative things with the English teachers in my old school, but they were not interested.  But, nothing teaches history better than contemporary literature... in any language!!

Nice looking unit.

Jeff
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jeffery Watkins

by Art Lader -
Jeffery,

Thank you for responding so quickly!

We would try to guide the discussions a little, of course, so that students would touch on the topics that you mention.

I LOVE this suggestion: A neat activity might be to break them up into groups... 1, 2, 3, 4 and have all the 1's research and write about a certain aspect of the book or the Hitler Youth... all the 2's do another aspect and so on...

Then, have each group break down further... 1a, 1b, 1c, 2a, 2b, 2c... and have all the A's get together, all the B's, all the C's. Each group would have an "expert" in their field, who would teach the others what they have learned.

And I guess that students could use the new Wiki module to create online resources for each other. Or not?

We do, fortunately, have English teachers who will work with us. For example, when our fourth-year students read Im Westen nichts Neues, our AP English teacher does on unit on All Quiet on the Western Front (same book). It is usually a big hit. We have had a social studies teacher come in, by the way, to help put everything in an historical perspective. Also a big hit.

I should also mention, I suppose, that most of our advanced students do come with us to Germany at least once. They live in German host families, attend a German high school, take part in various excurions and cultural activities, etc. Our German hosts (the adults, not the kids) are almost always interested about what we learn about Hitler's Germany. And I have to say, our hosts are amazingly open and honest and thoughtful about the subject. This summer was no exception.

Please feel free to make any additional comments or suggestions, especially about the constructivist aspect of this unit.

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Tom Murdock -
Some interesting ideas in this pdf.
smile

In reply to Tom Murdock

by Art Lader -
Wow, Tom, that really is an interesting resource. A colleague and I have talked several times about the need for educational role playing games (Internet-based RPG's), but we have never really done more than talk.

I could imagine making use of the hot seating technique described in the paper:

Hot-seating is a form of a role play, in which students take roles of historical persons and prepare themselves for the interview in front of the classroom. I find this activity very useful.

Each student in the class is an expert of one historical person and he or she shares the knowledge of this person with the whole class. The rest of the class are advised to ask relevant questions from the student in the hot seat. By using this method, students understand that the same historical event might have very different interpretations.

For example, if students are asked to take roles of historical persons who witnessed the destruction of the Spanish Armada in 1688 the results of the class discussion could be interesting. The roles and questions could be:

Spanish sailor: Why did he join the Armada?
Spanish soldier: Why did he want to take part in the invasion of England?
King Philip II of Spain: Why did he disliked Elizabeth I and why did he want to invade England?
Duke of Parma (Commander of the Spanish fleet): Why was he sure that the Spanish Armada would be victorious?
Francis Drake: Why did the Spanish hate him?
Elizabeth I: Why she did not want to marry Philip II of Spain and why she think that a war with Spain was inevitable?
English sailor: Why did he think that the English would defeat the Spanish Armada?

Hot-seating enables students to think about the notion of historical truth and by listening to the different subjective stories about the history of the Spanish Armadas invasion of England, students learn the skills of historical interpretation.

Of course, I would really have to think a lot about how to use this technique. But it certainly might be a useful exercise!

-- Art

In reply to Art Lader

by Drew Buddie -

Art, have you watched the video feed from the Moodlemoot that was held in Oxford last week?

rtsp://legalsrv3.oxilp.ac.uk/mootlive.rm

I suggest you do as I used your face and a quote from you in my talk - I start at about 5 hours 9 mins and you are on the penultimate slide I show smile  Ihope you donl't mind smile

Drew

In reply to Drew Buddie

by Art Lader -
I am flattered, Drew! I will be sure to take a look. (I have tried before, but my connection has timed out.)

-- Art
In reply to Drew Buddie

by Jeffery Watkins -
I can never get that link to work either.  RealPlayer and I have a long and established hate/hate relationship.

Jeff

by Art Lader -
I will try it from school tomorrow. We have an very fast system and no one will be online.

-- Art

by W Page -
".... A neat activity might be to break them up into groups... 1, 2, 3, 4 and have all the 1's research and write about a certain aspect of the book or the Hitler Youth... all the 2's do another aspect and so on... 

Then, have each group break down further... 1a, 1b, 1c, 2a, 2b, 2c... and have all the A's get together, all the B's, all the C's.  Each group would have an "expert" in their field, who would teach the others what they have learned.

Nice collaborative/cooperative learning activity. ...". Jeffery Watkins

Yes indeed a nice collaborative/cooperative learning activity.  I also like the collaboration with teaching staff relevant to the project.that Art refers to.

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Art Lader -
> I also like the collaboration
> with teaching staff...

I have to admit that this collaboration works out so well mainly because the English teacher and history teacher involved are unusually good at what they do. They just take the ball and run with it.

-- Art

by Drew Buddie -

"Then, have each group break down further... 1a, 1b, 1c, 2a, 2b, 2c... and have all the A's get together, all the B's, all the C's.  Each group would have an "expert" in their field, who would teach the others what they have learned.

Nice collaborative/cooperative learning activity."

That's an understatement I think.  I think that is a FANTASTIC suggestion that has been the missing piece in the 'jigsaw puzzle' of my teaching (not in this particular context, though) for a long time.  Thanks for coming up with a MAGIC way to stimulate kids (Oh and to Art for his concept in the first place).

Drew

by Drew Buddie -

"Then, have each group break down further... 1a, 1b, 1c, 2a, 2b, 2c... and have all the A's get together, all the B's, all the C's.  Each group would have an "expert" in their field, who would teach the others what they have learned.

Nice collaborative/cooperative learning activity."

Can I also point you in the direction of the quite BRILLIANT resources at:

www.actis.co.uk

They are not free, but I PROMISE you they are absolutely brilliant.

They come in various flavours:

a) Inquest - where the users (teams of kids) play the role of Coroner after the death of (for example) Romeo and Juliet.  They have to 'interview' the witnesses and determine how they both died.  (Also available for Macbaeth)

b) Flood Alert - a superb pressure-cooker scenario where temas of kids have to make decisions because a local river is about to flood its banks.  Really great!

c) Dilemma - school-based situations which teams of pupils have to work the best way out of - such as a pupil smashing a bus shelter and the team (role playing the parts of teachers) have to work out who is responsible - many 'flavours' available

d)Scenarios - a school party of kids are lost and a team have to rescue them - sevearl 'flavours' available - Rockfall, Murder, Smash etc.

Ask me if you want to know more.

Drew

In reply to Drew Buddie

by Art Lader -
These sound very interesting, Drew. I will take a look!

Thanks,
Art

JigSaw method

by Teemu Leinonen -
hi Jeff and all,

The collaborative learning method you were describing is called JigSaw. It was developed by Elliot Aronson in the early 1970's. You can read more about the technique from the JigSaw web site:

http://www.jigsaw.org/

Some teachers have used the JigSaw method with the Fle3 learning environment software and have noticed that use of the software with the JigSaw makes the learning experience even richer. There has been some discussion to develop some kind of JizSaw specific features and tools to Fle3. Maybe these could be developed to Moodle, as well?
In reply to Teemu Leinonen

Re: JigSaw method

by Art Lader -
> There has been some discussion
> to develop some kind of JizSaw
> specific features and tools to
> Fke3. Maybe these could be developed
> to Moodle, as well?

Just took a look at jigsaw.org. Looks terrific. I will explore more.

Thanks for the tip, Teemu.

-- Art

by Drew Buddie -

That was really fascinating, thanks for sharing it with me. Now I have a genre 'name' to put on my lesson plans and to tell my superiors,  and this makes me fele a whole lot better.

Drew

by Jeffery Watkins -

I just saw this post about the jigsaw method.  I did not know the name of this activity.  I just read about it somewhere and thought it was an excellent way of getting students to work together to solve a problem.

Thanks for the heads up on the website.  I am adding it to my list of teaching resources.

Jeff

In reply to Art Lader

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
This doesn't sound very pc.  Are you sure no one is going to have a hissy fit about it?
In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Art Lader -
> Are you sure no one is going
> to have a hissy fit about it?

If you mean about the hotseat technique, no. I have been trying to figure out how one might do it so that it is a valid activity without offending people. It might be better to use the hotseat technique with a topic like the fall of the Berlin Wall, Germany's economic miracle after WWII, or current difficulties of immigrants in German society.

If you mean the entire unit, it is simply an unavoidable topic. The Third Reich lasted only twelve years, as you know, and we (my wife and I) are certainly not obsessed with it. But it is hugely important that students begin to learn about the Nazi period and think about it in an informed, intelligent way, and German class is a good place to do it. We do have to go about it in a sensitive way, though.

Over the years, we have had a few parents who had reasonable, legitimate concerns, but we have not had to deal with any unreasonable people. They are out there, of course, but we have been lucky so far.

But, of course, you are right. It is a bit of a mine field for us.

-- Art

P.S. I wonder what my German colleagues think about this unit. I am sure they would have some helpful suggestions.
In reply to Art Lader

by W Page -
Hi Art!

As the saying goes, those who do not understand and learn about the past are bound to repeat it. This saying refers primarily to the "bad" past.

• Poor treatment of indigenous peoples (many places)
  • Slavery in history (many places)
  • Genocide (many places)
  • et cetera.

Rough topics but ones young people have to learn about and discuss so they understand the thinking that brings this type of poor behavior into being. Being aware of how these things happen can enable the enlightened to "nip" them "in the bud" before they bring forth their poisonous fruit in the future. We will not always be here. The young will be the adults of the future. It is better these types of subjects are discussed in a controlled learning environment then in places and areas that may not provided (or allow) varied opinion.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Art Lader -
Well said, WP.

I think that we will have the support of the parents in our community as long as we are completely open about what we are doing, why we are doing it, and how we are doing it.

I am not saying that we should send letters home "warning" parents that we will be dealing with a touchy subject. I am simply talking about being completely open about everything we do in our classrooms and not being afraid of constructive criticism or of concerned parents who simply want to be involved in their children's education. (We do, admittedly, have a couple of parents who want to micromanage everything we do at our school, but they are not typical. We just try to meet them halfway and go about our business.)

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by W Page -
Hi Art!,

This is a sad time in German history, as there have been sad and just as bad times in other countries and cultures at different times in history. It should not be hidden. Your students are learning to speak German, with that, they must also learn the history of the German people and understand it. This is part of every Language program that I know of. Important to do for anyone seriously learning a language..

Of course, and from one of your posts above I know you are aware of this, the positive aspects of German history should also have activites to demonstrate those aspects as well.

WP1
In reply to W Page

Re: Hitler Youth Instructional Unit - quotation

by Teemu Leinonen -

No comments, just a quotation (mybe this could be used in some unit of the course?):

“Why of course the people don’t want war. . .
That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.”
- Hermann Goering
Nazi SS Officer, 1946
Nuremberg War Crimes Trial

In reply to Art Lader

by Mary Reynolds -

Hi Art

I am a new to virtual communities, Moodle and to this group. I started a F2F conversation this morning (7.40 a.m. South African time) with our History teacher and within three hours here I am .... in search of a model to use to set up a Grade 12 unit on Stalinist economic policies.  I have not only managed to locate this software but this discussion on this Hitler unit was exactly what I needed.  Before I go any further please advise me whether I need to start a new discussion thread.  Can I append a different history conversation to this one?  I would like to explore ideas in setting up the envisaged unit.

Any advice to this novice would be appreciated.

Mary

In reply to Mary Reynolds

Re: Hitler Youth Instructional Unit (Stalinist Economic Policies)

by Art Lader -
Hi, Mary,

Welcome to Moodle!

I would start a new thread in this "Teaching Strategies" forum. Just log into this "Using Moodle" course and scroll down to "Teaching Strategies." Click on that link and then on the "Add a New Discussion" link to begin your new thread.

I am sure that you will get lots of constructive, helpful feedback from the Moodle community. smile

Happy Moodling!

-- Art
Attachment new_topic.gif
In reply to Art Lader

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

Hi Art, here a voice from germany.

It is good to discuss the Hitler Youth at school, not only in germany. I think, german schools didn't discuss this point enough.  In my opinion there are two main fields: the historical view and the group dynamic in society yesterday and today.

In the 50's we had a lot of studies in group dynamics. I found f.e. some links about the prison experiment. So we can understood what's going on in groups. http://www.prisonexp.org/
http://www.dasexperiment.de/frameset.php

In german schools we have some new group phenomens. Turkish, arabic, russian, german youth. In france there are similar problems with french and maroc youth.
This groups have their own rules.What about arabic youth in us-schools after 9/11?

The main question for me is: what was 1933-45 in germany in historical view? Where are relations today in group dynamics?
In the discussion we must make all the time a great difference: there is nothing similar in world like the german 'Völkermord' in europe.

In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Art Lader -
Dear Ralf,

I think there is a theme that runs through our instruction here: that individuals, groups and even societies sometimes descend into something like evil and that the consequences can be unspeakable.

When our students read Conrad's Heart of Darkness, they are confronted with a story of a man who goes over to the dark side. When they read Goldings Lord of the Flies, they must try to make a sense of a group of school boys who do the same. And when they read a simplified version of Sophie Scholl's The White Rose, they must consider what happens when an entire country does so. (Conrad's and Goldings' stories are fiction, I know, but I think that most or many teenagers are sophisticated enough to understand that there is truth in the premise that in the absence of normal social constraints, things can go horribly awry.)

I am sure that it is true that the Nazis were unique in many ways, but I am never comfortable saying so. There are so many examples of inhumanity thoughout history, I just don't know. I see it in the world today, too.

And teachers have to find a way to deal with even uncomfortable topics like this one.

Frankly, I find it much easier to talk about the dative case and possessive adjectives.

-- Art

In reply to Art Lader

by W Page -
I think there is a theme that runs through our instruction here: that individuals, groups and even societies sometimes descend into something like evil and that the consequences can be unspeakable. Art Lader

Yep!!

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
 To avoid unspeakable consequences, when you are in the "force groups" mode, uncheck the box marked "evil".  Your students will no longer descend into something like that.  wink