Journal in Moodle 1.9

Journal in Moodle 1.9

by Paul Nijbakker -
Number of replies: 60
Hi all,

In our 1.9 installation the Journal module does not write grades to the gradebook anymore. If you happen to have a quick fix, I'd be glad to hear about it.

Rgrds,
Paul.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Nijbakker

Re: Journal in Moodle 1.9 - Gradebook Fix

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Paul,

We fixed our version of the Journal Module so the 1.9 gradebook works. We call it the Lecture Feedback Module but it works the same as the Journal Module with a few added features. If you need it, email me directly and I will send it to you. I probably won't visit this forum for a while so email is best. We don't plan to publicly release it for a while.
In reply to Paul Nijbakker

Re: Journal in Moodle 1.9

by David Monllaó -
Hi,

This zip is journal module updated with 1.9 gradebook support, following other modules functions format xxx_update_grades, xxx_item_update...

In our installation there are near 500 journals, and some teachers won't change to online assignments, they want the same interface and they want to see journal grades in gradebook

We are using it in our moodle installation and seems to work fine, if someone want to test it, i'm glad to patch anything that doesn't work and maintain it if nobody else wants.

Paul, I've only modified lib.php and report.php if you want to try it you can only change this two files.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to David Monllaó

by David Monllaó -
I forget it, this is a simple script to update gradebook with journals created before install the journal module modified

It needs the journal module modified to work, should be placed in moodle wwwroot directory and executed as an admin user

Sorry for my english...
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Janet Smith -

We had the same problem with Journals at our school.  I tested and applied both the new module and php update script above and they worked great.

Thanks!

In reply to Janet Smith

by Marty Watson -
A few of our teachers are using journals/online text. Our non-editing teachers are receiving emails to complete their journal assignments. I can't find an option to not send emails anywhere. Any ideas out there?

by Jonathan Taylor -
Brilliant David Monllaó!!! Thank you very much! Our professors will be very happy with this. Nice work.

- Jon
In reply to Jonathan Taylor

by David Monllaó -
Hi,

If someone could need it, this is the patch to add journal to 1.9 gradebook; you can copy the patch into journal dir, go to journal folder and apply the patch using the command "patch -p1 < journal_grades.diff"

by Kent Villard -
I have applied the patch and it was successful but I still don't see the grades in the gradebook for my journals - am I missing something?
In reply to Kent Villard

by Kent Villard -
the update and patch worked great I just had a caching issue - thanks
In reply to Kent Villard

by katherine koziar -
i am very sad because when our server host implemented the patch, it only broke the journals, and made it such that several courses which used the journal mod wouldn't even load.

=(
In reply to katherine koziar

by David Monllaó -
Hi Katherine,

Maybe there is a problem applying the diff file; journal module haven't changed for a long time, could you try to replace the mod/journal folder with the folder patched?

by Rias Ahmed Abdul Basith -

Hi,

Could anyone tell me which of the files are required or all the 3 need to be applied for the grading of journals in Moodle 1.9 ?

Thanks & Regards,

In reply to Rias Ahmed Abdul Basith

by David Monllaó -
Hi,

You could replace (backup first smile ) the moodle mod/journal folder with journal.zip content or apply journal_grades.diff with patch command.

After that, you must execute journal_update.php if you want to add to gradebook the journal activities created before the code changes.

Regards

by Nicola S. -
Hi David,

Thanks for the update - my new journals are now appearing in my gradebook.

However, I've tried to update the gradebook with earlier journals, but I haven't been successful. I've put the journal_update.php in the wwwroot directory, but when I click on the url (to execute it?), I get the following error:

Warning: require_once(./config.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/nicolate/public_html/journal_update.php on line 14

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required './config.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/nicolate/public_html/journal_update.php on line 14

Sorry, I'm not so experienced at this, so maybe it's something simple that I'm doing wrong?

Also, now when I click on Notifications in Site Administration, I just get a blank page (...moodle/admin/index.php). Is this somehow related?

Thanks so much,
Nicola
In reply to Nicola S.

by David Monllaó -
Hi Nicola,

You should put the script in your moodle wwwroot (something like /home/nicolate/public_html/moodle) it seems that you've copied it in your server wwwroot.

In administration block -> server -> debugging, you can activate debug mode to see what causes the admin/index.php error, set debug message to developer. Then we'll know if it's caused by journal module...

Regards,
David

by Nicola S. -
Hi David,

Thanks so much for your quick reply! You are absolutely right, I put it in my server wwwroot.

Now I just put it directly into the Moodle folder and it worked fine. Great!!

I also tried the debug and this is what it said:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare journal_upgrade() (previously declared in /home/nicolate/public_html/moodle/mod/journal/db/mysql.php:8) in /home/nicolate/public_html/moodle/mod/journalold/db/mysql.php on line 92

Is this because I saved the original journal folder as "journalold" for safety - should I just delete the old journal folder?

Thanks again for your help,
Nicola

In reply to Nicola S.

by David Monllaó -
Bonjour Nicola,

Yes, it's what you say. You can move journalold folder to moodle/ or create a moodle/mod.old/ folder or something like that to store other module backups.

by Nicola S. -

Thanks again, David.  I moved it and it's fine now.

Muchas gracias.

by Brian Pool -
Both worked great for use as well...we are on the current 1.95 release.

Brian

by Eduardo Veliz -

Thank you for the updated module, it shows the journals in the grade book. However, the journal module is not working anymore. When I try to create a journal or access it. The system display the follwing error.

The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.
The script had an error or it did not produce any output. If there was an error, you should be able to see it in the error log.
I try to replace it with the original journal module, but I still dispaly the same error.
Anything else I can try to restore the journal module?
In reply to Eduardo Veliz

by David Monllaó -
Hi Eduardo,

What moodle version are using? Could you activate the moodle debug mode to display errors?

by Eduardo Veliz -
I am using the 1.9.5 version. Yes I can activate the debug mode. What kind errors would you like to see?

by David Monllaó -
Hi Eduardo,

We are using it in the same moodle version without problems.

Maybe it's not necessary to activate debug mode because it seems that the error you have pasted is a generic "500 Internal server error".

I don't know what can be, but I don't think that it's a "code" error. Try to check the modified directory access rights or read the server error log.

by Eduardo Veliz -
You are awesome!!!

The permissions on the journal folder changed after I uploaded the modified lib.php and report.php. I completely missed that. Thank you.

The journals and grades are fully functional. Thank you.

by David Monllaó -
You are welcome, I hope it works fine smile

by Fred Weiss -
Does this patch work for Moodle 1.9.5 running on windows 2003, IIS 6.0 & MS_SQL.

Thanks
In reply to Fred Weiss

by David Monllaó -
Hi Fred,

The patch is for 1.9.x versions. I haven't try it in windows servers nor ms_sql, but I think that you shouldn't have problems; it uses only moodle funcions to access DB and it's the same process to add grades that other modules uses.

You could review the patch code, it's very simple

by Doris Johnson -
I would like to apply this patch for the journal, but I currently have student journals. I am also running windows 2003, apache, mysql. I moved the journal_update.php patch to my moodle root directory, but I'm not sure what I should do next. How would I apply the patch? Thanks for any help.
In reply to Doris Johnson

by David Monllaó -
Hi Doris,

The journal_update.php script it's only to add to gradebook journal instances created before apply the patch. Before execute journal_update.php you should apply the code modifications (journal.zip or journal_grades.diff)

by Doris Johnson -
Hi David, thanks for your help. Just a couple of questions. If I delete the journal folder in mod, will that delete the journals students have submitted to this point. Also, is the command to apply the patch for Linux? How would I apply the patch for a windows system?
In reply to Doris Johnson

by David Monllaó -
Hi,

About journals delete, if you delete the module using moodle interface I don't know, but if you replace the folder, students journals remains in DB. If windows has no patch command version you can replace the folder with .zip version, but backup first smile

by Blair F. -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I'm trying to install this by replacing the old journals folder contents with that of the zip file, but I don't see any difference. It seems to be still using the old version. How can I tell if it's using this new installation.

When I tried to put the old journal folder in a backup folder, I couldn't even get back into Moodle. It told me that the "Backups" folder was not accessible and I should check the rights.

In reply to Blair F.

by David Monllaó -
Hi Blair,

You can check if you are using the new installation creating a new journal instance and going to the gradebook to see if it has been added. If the new journal instance has not been added to the gradebook ensure that you have permissions to overwrite the old journal folder.

About the backups folder, you should store it outside blocks/ folder, otherwise moodle will read it as an other block.

by Blair F. -
I just cannot get this to work.

I am on a Windows laptop, with a local installation of 1.9.8. (I've also tried this with 1.9.7, with the same results). I have made a zip file of the original journal folder and then deleted the original. I downloaded and unzipped the new Journal.zip file from here, unzipped and put the journal folder back into the mod folder. I have added new journals and they still do not show up.

I'm stuck.
In reply to Blair F.

by David Monllaó -
Hi Blain,

I've just downloaded and installed the last weekly 1.9.8 and replaced the original journal with the modified folder (http://moodle.org/file.php/5/moddata/forum/120/464241/journal.zip) I've created a journal with the grade setting set to "no grades" and the instance has not been added to the gradebook, but when I create journals with grades the instance is visible from the course gradebook. Could you try to create journal instances with the grade setting set to a numeric value, for exemple, and check the gradebook? maybe that's the problem.

I'm using a Linux server with mysql, but the functions added to the journal module only uses standard SQL and the moodle core functions.

by Blair F. -
OMG, Duh! do I feel silly! <I'm hitting myself in the head, right now> That WAS the problem. I owe you a coffee! Lunch! Dinner! If I'm ever in Tarragona.....

Thanks, David and sorry for wasting your time on this.

by Blair F. -
I just had our I.T. person install this on our production server (1.9.7) and for some reason he didn't need to run the journal_update.php script. All he did was replace the report.php and lib.php files.

I'm just curious why this might be.

Thanks.
In reply to Blair F.

by Blair F. -
Actually, I meant 1.9.6 not 7.
In reply to Blair F.

by David Monllaó -
Hi Blair,

The modification added to include the journal in the 1.9.x gradebook only changes lib.php and report.php files. After the replacement, all the journal instances created or modified will be added to the gradebook.

The journal_update script should be executed if you want to add to the gradebook all the journal instances created before the module files modification.

Regards,
David

by Blair F. -
Yes, that's exactly what I expected. However, for some strange reason, the existing journal entries are showing up in Gradebook, without having run the script. It's a mystery.
In reply to Blair F.

by David Monllaó -
Hi,

I expected the same smile I suppose that Moodle have a function which search for the diferent MODULENAME_update_grades() functions and calls them without params (without params it will update all the installation journal instances) some kind of metagradebook modules update...

Re: Journal in Moodle 2.0

by Ger Tielemans -
David, are you thinking about/working on a version for Moodle 2.0x?
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by David Monllaó -
Sorry for the delay Ger, I'm not working on a 2.0, but I will; otherwise I think that Moodle 2.0 comes with the feedback module and/or the journal2assignment and that will be the official replacement

by Mei P -
Hello David,
I'm a bit confused with the patch. So should i overwrite journal folder mod/journal ? and after that put journal_update.php onto my wwwroot folder and then run it ?
Thank you.
In reply to Mei P

by David Monllaó -
Hi Mei,

Yes, you can overwrite the mod/journal folder or apply the journal_grades.diff patch; after that, if you want to add to the gradebook all the journal instances previously created, you should upload the journal_update.php script to your moodle folder and execute it.

The module is compatible with Moodle 1.9.x

by Mei P -
hello David, thanks for the reply. i'll try it today. thanks so much.

by Mei P -
Hi David, it seems to be working now. Thank you very much i will let you know if there's any bug on it. Cheers,

Ang: Re: Journal in Moodle 2.0

by Kasper Lauest -

Wow! David, it would be AMAZING if you could make the journal work in Moodle 2. At my school the journal is the ONE module that EVERYBODY uses ALL of the time. We would be extremely grateful if you could make it work. We're not moving to moodle 2 until the journal or something extremely similar works. smiler

In reply to Kasper Lauest

Re: Ang: Re: Journal in Moodle 2.0

by David Monllaó -
Hi Kasper,

I'll migrate the code to the 2.0 APIs and share the code, but I'm not a core developer nor the module maintainer.

I don't know if a core developer will continue the development of the module, as far as I know the official replacement to the journal module is the online assignments through the journal to assignments script.

Anyway, as soon as I have something I will upload it

Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Journal in Moodle 2.0

by Kasper Lauest -

Hi David.

It will certainly be much appreciated if you do this. Anything that will make the Journal work in Moodle 2 will make us very happy. smiler

In reply to Kasper Lauest

Re: Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Journal in Moodle 2.0

by David Monllaó -

Hi Kasper,

I've attached a journal module version for moodle 2.0, it has been tested on a linux server with mysql, PHP > 5.3 and the latest moodle 2.0 version; it supports backup 2.0, gradebook (more integred than the 1.9 patch) and groups.

I think that moodle 2.0 it's not yet ready for production sites (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=160866) and this module version should be tested carefully, the institution I work for (Universitat Rovira i Virgili) will use this module version (some teachers insists) but the upgrade are not yet planed, so if you can help me with the testing I'll be glad smile

I also remember you that there is a script to convert journal module instances to online assignments and, as far as I know, that will be the official replacement.

Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Journal in Moodle 2.0

by Kasper Lauest -

Thanks a lot, David! I'll try it out as soon as possible. My school is still running 1.9.x, but I have a test version of Moodle 2RC at home. We're definitely not moving on to moodle 2 at my school until the final version of moodle 2 is out and until the journal issue is solved for sure. Hopefully your work fixes the latter concern! smile

by Marc Hermon -

Your instructions were great and I put on the new journal module and updated the previous journals into the grade book to make my English teachers happy. However, I have installed the Grade Me block which the teachers love to help them stay caught up on what assignments to look at. I thought maybe since the journals were now going into the grade book a new journal entry would show up in the Grade Me block. However, it does not. Any ideas how I can fix this? I probably should post this under the Grade Me block discussion. Thanks for any help anyone can give on this.

In reply to Marc Hermon

by David Monllaó -

Hi Marc,

I did a quick view to the grade me code and it seems that it only displays assignment and quiz modules, can you see other moodle activities from the block?

by Marc Hermon -

No, I agree with you. I think that's all it does or at least I think that's all it shows. I usually don't have any grades on other activities except quizzes and assignments. I was just wondering if Journal could be included on that block since many of my teachers seem to be using it rather than the online-text.

by Miguel Guhlin -

A Quick question. Should the patch for the Journal be applied to the most recent version of Moodle 1.9.x in October, 2011?

Thanks,

Miguel Guhlin
mguhlin@gmail.com 

In reply to Miguel Guhlin

by David Monllaó -

Hi Miguel,

Yes, it can be applied to the last 1.9 version