Bug? Grade item disappearing after student takes quiz

Bug? Grade item disappearing after student takes quiz

by Mark Berthelemy -
Number of replies: 5
Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is a bug. I'd be grateful if someone can test it.

The problem I have is that after a student takes one of the quizzes, that quiz's results then get hidden in the gradebook.

It seems to be specific to just the first of the quizzes (there are three), but it happens with any student.

I can't see what's different between the quizzes that would make it behave this way.

I've attached the sample course that I'm using to test this. You'll see that the quizzes each take random questions from two of four categories. I use this course to demonstration the random question capability.

I'm using Moodle 1.9+ build 20080423.

Thanks,

Mark
In reply to Mark Berthelemy

Re: Bug? Grade item disappearing after student takes quiz

by Jeffery Watkins -
Mark,

I am seeing that behavior also, but have not figured out why it is happening. Have you filed a bug report? If so, let me know the number and I will go vote for it.

Jeff

Re: Bug? Grade item disappearing after student takes quiz -- here is the problem

by Gary Anderson -
We had this problem at the end of our school year as well, so your question caused me to look into it.

From your example, I tracked the problem down to having the option of "scores" not available under the column "Later, while the quiz is still open". Both of these are the default, so unless one change one or both of these, quiz results are always hidden.

I don't like this behavior as I think it is very confusing. For new or less sophisticated users, they think there should be a one-to-one mapping between the grade items in their course and what is seen in the gradebook.

But at least now we know the source of the problem, so perhaps a discussion on how to ideally handle it would be appropriate.

My own thoughts are that it does not make sense to hide scores for a quiz that will never close. And even for a quiz that is going to close, having it "hidden" in the gradebook (rather than just without a score) is very confusing.

A partial fix -- it still might be confusing -- would be to disable this checkbox when no closing date is set, and then always show the results when the quiz is finished.

So, what would be the best way to handle this?

--Gary

by E. L. Cooper -
I hope someone knows becasue I have been resetting it several times a day in all of the course on one site. version is 1.9.1 (Build: 20080515)
In reply to E. L. Cooper

by E. L. Cooper -

SIlly me I figuired out the code speak for where to go and it was obvious as soon as I saw the page. To help others in the future go to update quiz then check

Immediately after the attempt
Responses Answers Feedback General feedback Scores Overall feedback
Later, while the quiz is still open
Responses Answers Feedback General feedback Scores Overall feedback