Moodle IDE 1.0.3 Release

Moodle IDE 1.0.3 Release

by Grady Laksmono -
Number of replies: 3
Hi Moodlers,
I'm Grady Laksmono, and I'm working for Moodle IDE project in the Google Summer of Code 2008 program. Now, I'm releasing final version of the Moodle IDE, and I would like to get feedback, comment, and suggestion for improvement.

Moodle IDE 1.0.3
http://download.moodle.org/download.php/ide/Moodle-IDE-Setup.exe

Documentation
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Moodle_IDE

Release Notes
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Student_projects/Moodle_IDE#Releases

Please let me know your experience!

Thanks,
Grady Laksmono
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Grady Laksmono

Re: Moodle IDE 1.0.3 Release

by Gary Anderson -
Grady:

I was able to get this version of your Eclipse installation to worksmile

But since I have used Eclipse before, I have a feeling that you may want to make the installation instructions somewhat clearer and do more of the installation.

Things to consider:

1. Can you not just start in the PHP perspective? Finding that for new users is not obvious.
2. When I did an upgrade in Eclipse, things stopped working. It is not clear why. I would sure suggest that you make it available and working for the most recent version of Eclipse and the PHP pluggin. (I use PDT for Eclipse, so I am not familiar with the current status of the PHP Eclipse project, but I suspect that it should work with your project.
3. Since you are sending things out with a server, why not just have a a CVS version of Moodle installed (like 1.9.2 stable?) If you also tag the 1.6, 1.7, 1.8 stable branches and the tags for the Weekly versions those that wanted to change (or use the comparison features) would be all set up.
4. Likewise, you refer users to a site on debugger installation. Why not just pre-install it with your installation?
5. You have some hard coded links assuming that people will install your package in the Program Folder of the C-drive. You should not assume this.

Each of your versions is getting better. If you just take can just take care of more of the installation details together with instructions of a handful of cool things that users can do with Moodle and Eclipse once it is installed, I think you will ease the transtion for this very sophisticated develoment environment.

Take care and I will be happy to check your next editions.

--Gary
In reply to Gary Anderson

Re: Moodle IDE 1.0.3 Release

by Grady Laksmono -
Thanks Gary,
I'm going to take all of the points that you make into consideration for the next release.

1. Can you not just start in the PHP perspective? Finding that for new users is not obvious.

I believe that we should be able to, although I'm not sure if we've had to change something in the Eclipse core code, or there's a way to extend it's default perspective, but I'll take a look on this.

2. When I did an upgrade in Eclipse, things stopped working. It is not clear why. I would sure suggest that you make it available and working for the most recent version of Eclipse and the PHP pluggin. (I use PDT for Eclipse, so I am not familiar with the current status of the PHP Eclipse project, but I suspect that it should work with your project.

If it doesn't work, it's more likely that there's one plugin that doens't have other plugin in which they're dependencies to each other. You'll be able to see these dependencies through MANIFEST.MF through Eclipse's manifest's editor in the plug-in development perspective. You can get the source code by extracting the org.moodle_<version>.jar

3. Since you are sending things out with a server, why not just have a a CVS version of Moodle installed (like 1.9.2 stable?) If you also tag the 1.6, 1.7, 1.8 stable branches and the tags for the Weekly versions those that wanted to change (or use the comparison features) would be all set up.

I don't really understand this, would you mind explaining it further? I'm going to ask my mentor about this.

4. Likewise, you refer users to a site on debugger installation. Why not just pre-install it with your installation?

I believe that my mentor spoke to me about this, I'll take a look on it for the next release.

5. You have some hard coded links assuming that people will install your package in the Program Folder of the C-drive. You should not assume this.

I'm assuming that "links" that you're talking about is in the "preference"? I'm going to see what I can do for this, although actually the original PHPeclipse hardcoded to the default installation location.

Thanks a lot for your comments! smile

- Grady