What is your technique for "Forum Management"??

What is your technique for "Forum Management"??

by W Page -
Number of replies: 14
Hello All!

There has been much discussion on some recent threads on the large number of e-mail some receive from Moodle. There are various opinions about this. Pro & Con.

Recent Forum Threads
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=9959
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=9960

My questions to the Moodle community are these

• What tips can you give on how to manage Forum Content, Quality of Content and, Volume of Forum Posts?

What tricks do you use to manage Forum Content, Obtain Quality Content and control volume of Forum Posts received from students?
Any and all input appreciated.

WP1

Average of ratings: -
In reply to W Page

Re: What is your technique for "Forum Management"??

by Tom Murdock -
My management advice: don't panic.

Seriously. We are talking about classrooms of students that we want to engage. Let them engage. Let them get a little noisy. There is such a thing as good noise. Have them receive the noise in a neat email digest. As has been pointed out in these discussions, however, forum posts are never spam, they are students communicating. How much do you want your students to communicate? How do you check their quality of content and volume?

My answer to the question you have posed:  use your teaching skills to figure this one out. Class A needs more attention from me and fewer questions. Class B can move faster, but the kids still aren't listening to each other. Checking the temperature of students in a course is something we do every day or every week.  In Moodle the teacher can use the forum as a tool to maintain the right heat/cool of a classroom.

I hope I don't sound preachy. Maybe teaching secondary school feels more clear cut to me than other grade levels or groups.

-Tom smile
In reply to Tom Murdock

by W Page -
Hi Tom!

Doesn't sound preachy. It sounds reasonable.

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers

Thanks, WP1, for starting this discussion--there are so many issues involved here. 

One of the biggest issues right now is students receiving too many emails from discussions.  And the new email digest is a good start toward that problem.  In the other post, Przemek offered a way to have the default for receiving posts turned to "off", I was wondering how this will work with the digest--e.g. if the default is left to "off", will users still receive the digest?

Also, I think it would be helpful to maybe have a little talk about all of the different ways you can "or soon will be able to" interact conversationally within Moodle--how they are similar/different, and the best ways to put each of them to use.

1. The dialogue module.
  2. The forum module.
  3. The new instant messaging module.
  4. The new wiki module (Is a wiki the same as a blog?).

Here's a start:Will the new instant messaging module be putting the dialogue module to rest?

Can the wiki module take the place of a forum but without the problems associated with users getting posts via email?

In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Bryan Williams -
Here's a start:Will the new instant messaging module be putting the dialogue module to rest? I hope not!
In reply to Bryan Williams

by Art Lader -
I, too, hope that the dialogue module will not be discontinued. It is very useful.

-- Art
In reply to W Page

by Art Lader -
This is a very timely post for us at Aiken High. Here's what's happening...

In one of our forums, a student posted remarks that were well received. In a nutshell, she advised students in our most advanced, rigorous programs (International Baccalaureate and Advanced Placement) to relax. "It will all work out," she wrote, and advised students to prioritize, basically. As a veteran of these programs, she has some credibility. (Post below, in blue.)

So, what's the problem? Pretty good advice, right? But she actually FAILED several of her important exams and students reading her posts have no way of knowing this, no way of putting the advice in context.

A problem, as I see it. (She did, however, graduate and receive her IB diploma, so one could certainly argue that it did, indeed, all work out for her.)

Do we delete the thread? Certainly not. Do we post her scores? Of course not. We are considering several possibilities, including simply letting the thread stand as it is or inviting the student to make additional remarks in the hopes that she will provide the context that is missing. (I suspect we will simply add a disclaimer to all of our forums, reminding students that they cannot take everything they read at face value.)

The point is simply that these issues will come up over and over again. It is nice that we have someplace to discuss them. smile

-- Art

****It will all work out.*****

That's it, it's the secret to everything. So when you got 12 major grades due, a scholarship essay to do and goodness knows how many other pressing responsablities--somehow you'll live though it.

Goodness knows I'm not saying that you won't sweat tears and cry blood, and scream screams that would make banshees run for cover. But, other than that, you'll be fine.

Well, I think everyone should listen to David's advice about the sleep. Infact, I say ya'll should all set a bedtime. A bed-WHAT????????? You know where you go to bed at like 10:00. Some nights if you have lots of homework, stay up an extra thirty minutes. If it doesn't get done that night, then don't do it. I'm serious.

"But Jennifer not do my work???"

Yes. (Now teachers before you go all postal on me read the rest of my paper). I'm not saying never do it. Make sure you don't put off the major major things. Don't put anything off for more than a day. And don't do this alot. But you can do this. You have to pick and choose what to do sometimes. (I understand you people who absolutly abhore the idea of turning in something a day late, the first time I did this I was a basketcase, but it will be okay.)

I hear you over there thinking "well I'm going to stay up till my homework is done, I work best at night"

I work best at night too, but here's the thing. After you stay up till 4:30 you still have to wake up in the morning and function in class. So if you're bad at functioning in the morning in the first place, I'm still not sure how that will benifit you. (also after so much sleep deprivsion your judgement is gone. You honestly will not be able to tell that you are messed-up)

Also when you get back those great papers you wrote, your first question will be "What in the junk was I smoking when I wrote this?"
Examples include: Access the validity of this statement; In order to explain the matter of this fact one must examine the former fact which is...; This paper is gay and everything sucks. (these are all quotes taken from other people's papers)

Okay, there is still more to all this than just sleep.

Don't do homework during lunch. Maybe glance over a few quick vocab words or scribble down a few more math problems. But otherwise Dude just chill. I mean because lunch is the safe time, nothing can touch you....well except for biology labs and well, meetings with teachers, etc...

Sometimes when you get sick and you're under alot of stress, you will just stay misrabely sick for a long time. So if you've been sick with a cold for a month, take a day off from school. You can even choose a day where it will not be academic sucide to take the day off (and sleep during this day, don't study).

Understand, that a C is average and a D can be pulled up. Also understand that some classes you will always have about the same grade even if you don't study.

Also understand that getting a failing grade does not mean you are a failure as a person.

To summ it all up. Just live your life (have a bit of a life outside of IB Work to the best of your ablity, but know when to say "that's enough for now"

Well May ya'll always have a reason to smile, and may the overlly oppressive IB not get to you.

In reply to Art Lader

by N Hansen -
Art-This is going to be a bit off-topic, but I don't think that this student's advice is necessarily bad, because what works for one person may not work for another. I'll give you a similar example. My husband really wanted to become a doctor, and to become a doctor here in Egypt you have to have the highest scores on the final high school exam. The exams were over several days, and after taking the physics exam he felt he hadn't done very well, and so the next day, he just didn't go back to finish the exams. Everyone thought he was crazy walking out like that, but by not finishing the exams, they wouldn't count any of his scores. Instead, he took off a year and just studied and studied, and then retook the exams. And he succeeded in getting the score he needed to get into medical school. Now, a lot of other students who came after him looked to him as an example, and tried the same strategy hoping to get into medical school-taking off a year to study-and none of them succeeded in getting the scores needed. I know it is a bit the reverse in the case in your school, but what if she had succeeded in her exams using this strategy? It still wouldn't be a guarantee that it would  work for another student.
In reply to N Hansen

by Art Lader -
Good points. And I totally agree there is a time for students to back off. Sometimes, that is surely the best thing to do.

But I would also say that your example shows the need for context.

What I mean is this: If you simply told me that your husband had not showed up for part of his exam, I would find that very odd, indeed. However, when you give me the background I need to understand the decision, I see it very differently.

I should have mentioned, also, that the other teachers involved in the course are leaning toward not doing anything. Well, they seem to feel that the other students will somehow figure out that they need to look at it with a critical eye.

Thanks,
Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers

Hi Art--here are a couple of thoughts:

It seems that part of the problem lies in that the teacher is equating the students advice with the student's actual performance--but as far as the forum goes this is really irrelevant.  E.g., having your doctor, who smokes, advising you to quit smoking--the advice is still good, but if you happen to know your doctor smokes it might be hard to swallow. (BTW, I am not saying this student's advice IS good, just that the forum posts should be looked at sometimes with a blind eye as to other information you have about the student).

What are the "instructions" for this forum?  E.g., is it clearly stated that "this is a forum for posting your own stories about how....."  including a little "disclaimer" type of language such as... These post are the opinions of the students and may not apply to.....

The teacher/monitor of the forum could reply with a nice little disclaimer type of post.  E.g., "Student", thank you for sharing that wonderful story.  It is great that it worked for you.  Keep in mind, though, that what works for someone may not always work for everyone, and everybody should take their own personalities/lives/whatever into considertation when deciding........ 

by Art Lader -
Hi, Chardelle,

The course is the brainchild of one of our French teachers. She felt it would be to create a community where our International Baccalaureate students could interact with each other and with their teachers. The thread in question is part of a forum where veteran IB students post advice for newer, less-experienced students. It has worked out pretty well, actually, thanks to this teacher's nurturing.

I am really the only one who seems to think that this post is a problem.

A disclaimer like the one you propose is probably the way to go.

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Mary Kaplan -

Hi, Chardelle,

Actually, I am the French teacher who started the forum, and I really agree with Art that this can create problems, I am just not sure of the best approach. I want this to be a student forum, and I think the students' opinions are useful for newcomers, in most cases. I suppose a disclaimer will be a good idea. I don't want to be seen as "editing" student comments, although having said that, I did delete the comments of one student who had rambled on and on to no purpose, and was advocating irrational behavior.

I started a forum within this same moodle where teachers will give advice, which is where I guess I think we should try to post some sort of comment to counter the advice. I am (and I think Art is as well) still trying to determine what approach to take. Your example was quite useful for me, as it shows that what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another, AND it relates to a very high-powered examination situation.

How would you feel about putting your story on our site?

--Mary

by W Page -
Hi All!

Might be useful to have a "Wiki" in the "Teaching Stategies" forum or in the "Document Project" area addressing a generic type of "disclaimer" for student forums. smile Admins/Teachers could just plug in their school or class name. Also, we could have different pages in the "Wiki" which could address the concerns of different areas and countries.

Martin are you listening??
smile big grin

I have a though in mind as to how to deal with this from a programming standpoint but it will have to wait until I get some other scripts I am working on completed and submitted for Martin to look at. For now a Wiki would be nice.
  smile big grin

Also, we could just begin another thread and discuss it here in the "Forum" forum.

What do the other folks feel about this?

WP1
In reply to N Hansen

by Mary Kaplan -

Whoops, n hansen, the comment I addressed to Chardelle about the timeliness of the story was intended for you! blush It isn't off topic at all, and is actually a very good "what works for one doesn't necessarily work for all" story. Thanks for sharing it with us.

--Mary