Does 1.9 have transcripts?

Does 1.9 have transcripts?

by J m -
Number of replies: 9
I remember there being talk of it before 1.9 came out. I couldn't find it. Thanks in advance.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to J m

Re: Does 1.9 have transcripts?

by Scott Mohnkern -
Did you ever get an answer to this question? I'm looking for the same thing. The transcript module that someone wrote is broken with moodle 1.9 and the current version of msql.

In reply to Scott Mohnkern

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Scott - If you could create an issue in the CONTRIB secion of the tracker to update the transcript code I will try to contact the maintainer of the code and see what the status is. If the maintainer as gone AWOL then I can put out a request for a new maintainer. Knowing that there is interest in that code is helpful. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Scott Mohnkern

by Ross Jordan -
Looks like no one knows the answer to this problem.
So much so I will be looking at some other LMS programs very soon.

black eye
In reply to Ross Jordan

by Anthony Borrow -
Ross - I would say the official answer is no, Moodle 1.9 does not have transcripts. In Moodle 2.0 there is the idea of track course completion which will bring us closer to having something like transcripts. In theory, if it has not been done already, it should not be too difficult to get a list of a student's courses and display the final grades but as far as I'm aware this is not in Moodle core yet. Of course I would be happy if I were wrong on that but as best as I recall it is not there yet. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Anthony Borrow -
I just wanted to add that this might be related to MDL-12874 which does have a patch available that was provided by Matt Campbell. Feel free to try out the patch and test it. It may meet your needs. If so, you may want to vote on that issue. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
There is the "overview" report in the Moodle 1.9 gradebook which shows you a summary of all your own courses with grades.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Jonathan Moore -
This looks handy. However is there anyway for an administrative user to view this report to pull up a students record? I was able to get to the report by logging in as the user, but couldn't find any other way. For example tried to get to it from the user profile page under activity reports and grades, which is where I expected to find it.

Normally a transcript would be something the school administration could send to approved parties such as a students new school.

In reply to Jonathan Moore

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, the trouble is just security. A teacher in one course should not see all the grades from other courses. So we'll need a new capability that you'd have to have assigned at system level or at the user level. Plus you may want to switch between seeing this overview and seeing just the grades for one course (as now), so there is some GUI to develop. See MDL-12916 for this.

There is also this coming:

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Progress_tracking
In reply to Jonathan Moore

by Richard Ingalls -
I agree. I have created the workaround by allowing the Mentors to login as their children, just so they can view the user's overview report. I would prefer not to use this workaround for security reasons, but it's working right now on my beta-test Moodle server for my organization. Having this available at the profile page, but viewable only by specific users or roles, would be the best method for Supervisors, Administrators, etc.